Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Well, Well, The Chimps Got To Go Outside Today! (Mon 8.19.19)

Great News!  The Chimps had access to the yard today!  

When I got to the Dayroom shortly after opening, the Chimps weren't out yet. I walked around and planned to come back to watch them have their morning forage.  I lost track of time and realized I probably missed their "active" time, which in recent weeks seemed to be limited to their foraging time.

When I got back, luckily, they were still moving about.  Maggie went over to the gate that leads to the yard.  It was open and she was looking out.  I took a video, and you can hear me saying, ... "you can only look outside,...",  then she walked over to the window and brought her ice treat.  Check it out, the ice treat eating footage is really cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkSi5babNg8

All of a sudden, the gate opened!  I was like OMG! They're going out!  I ran out and around to the yard and got the first moments of them entering.  They were so happy!  I cried tears of joy seeing them able to go outside.  It had been too long!  So long, that their excitement and actions, made it seem like this was their first time out in the yard.  Shameful that they were kept in so long.  Almost two months.  So Cruel.  It is Unconscionable that a situation, that dictated them having no outside access for months, even happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefIVBGyHac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIXyD7F8qmQ

I stayed there for over two hours, went to the Farm and came back.  They were outside the whole time.  Sometimes going in to get food, but coming right back out.  They stayed active the whole time.  Sitting for short periods of time to groom.  Their spirits were energized.  Not like how I've seen them the past three weeks.  ...   As soon as they came out, Maggie was climbing the mesh.  All the way to the top and around the perimeter.  She made several trips.  Cobby went straight up the ladder to get a better look at Ollie (Orangutan) who was in the long trail.  They all did. This was even Enrichment for Ollie, who peeked out at the Chimps continuously.  Minnie enjoyed the new hammock.  I saw Qadeer jumping up and down, smiling more than a few times.  He more than ever needed this.  He arrived last Oct. (2018).  Ten months ago and has been outside not much more than a couple dozen times, and I'm probably being generous with that estimate.  They were all over the yard, often coming up to the mesh to see people.  They had a great time!  This should be their everyday.  Its a crime that it hasn't been.

Minnie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W27cTUxryRk

Qadeer and Cobby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSkdP3QNNc

Maggie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB6h-raRaRk

Their being outside is ESSENTIAL to their Wellness.  I hope this NEED will not be denied again.

I have tons more footage, so the links I'm posting here are taken on my cell phone.  I will upload the rest on the weekend.  .. As well, I have some other posts related to this planned. Check back or subscribe to the blog or my Twitter (leo811) for alerts.

Related post
http://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2019/08/chimps-havent-been-outside-in-almost.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.