Sunday, July 26, 2020

RIP Zoo Friends Who Passed During The Shutdown/Since The Re-Opening

I started this post last weekend, after a friend had told me that our Taymor (Sumatran Tiger) had passed away.  Before I could finish the post and publish it, there was more sad news this past Friday, that our Sam (Giraffe) had passed away.  There is a point I want to make about these two losses, but will do that in a separate post that I hope to write in a timely manner after this one.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

RIP Taymor

When I hear this news, I sobbed.  I loved this guy.  I have had a fondness for Taymor since he arrived at the Zoo in 2012.  

He was promptly renamed "Larry", which those who know me, know I hate the renaming thing.  I think it's disrespectful.  Taymor is one of Triplet Boys, born at the Sacramento Zoo.  Named by their Keepers after favorite writers, Julie Taymor, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Rudyard Kipling.  Both Emerson and Kipling retained their names through life.  Thankfully, Taymor retained his name in the Studbook.

I saw him his third day out and was drawn to his beauty and personality.  He was not shy about responding to me talking to him and provided some wonderful face time.
screencap from
blog post

Over the years I came to know him as the perfect Tiger, a very sweet and loving Cat.  It was clear in his interactions with Skylar/Leanne, that they were a wonderful couple and loved being with eachother.  Their daughter Jillian was born in 2013, and remained at the Zoo far longer than expected, leaving Taymor and Skylar separated for almost five years. My heart broke for him because he was alone and regardless of Tiger wild characteristics, those two loved being together.  They were finally reunited and thankfully had the last three years together.  They could always be seen snuggled close.  I feel so bad for her.  They really loved eachother.  I would bet his Spirit is always right beside her.  I hope that he has been reunited with his Brother Emerson, and Parents Castro and Bahagia. 
I will miss you Taymor.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

RIP Samson 

Still wrapping my head around the loss of Taymor, the sad news of Sam's passing hit.  Another heartbreaking and shocking loss.  Another Friend who had his name taken from him.  Given the name Samson at his birth Zoo, when he got here, his name was changed to "Floyd".  Thankfully, Samson retained his name in the Studbook.

Sam was one of the first Giraffe's I knew by name.  His Son Dozer was the first, we share the same birthday, so he was immediately a favorite.  I got to know Sam early as there was a time when I was allowed to go down in the pit of the Barn several times and feed the Giraffes.  Being side by side with them all was incredible, and standing next to Sam and having him bend his head down face to face with me was something amazing.  He could often be seen peeking up from behind the boulders that bordered the tunnel to the donga.  Every time I walk the path between the Savannah and the Lemurs, I call out, Hi Sammy! and he would look right at me.  I will miss that the most.  

I always felt bad that he spent his life separated from the ladies.  Except for short periods of time when his Sons would be on his side of the fence, he was spending his days solo with other species.  I hope his Spirit is hanging out with his ladies now.  I'll miss you Sammy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I don't regularly post about passings.  I used to, but this blog mostly became about documenting things that weren't right.  I want to get back to acknowledging the Zoo Friends we lose.  Many times those who know and love these Friends, never hear about their passing.  The Zoo does not announce all the lives lost equally, and I think each one deserves to be acknowledged. With that thought, I want to additionally mention other Friends who left us during the Shutdown, or since the Re-Opening.  This may not be complete, but these are the ones I've learned about.

Too much saddness.

RIP Latte, Jacob Sheep
RIP Chutney, Navajo Churro Sheep  
These two lovely Sheep Ladies left us on the same day, the week the Shutdown started.  I'm very close to the Farm Friends, and have sadly watched our senior group of ladies leave us.  Their Sister Sheep Mole, left close before them, leaving Chutney and Latte our last ladies. I think they made a pact to go together, to not leave one behind.  This was a tough one, as I spent so much time with them over the past ten plus years.  The Farm Animals are like family. 

RIP Zuko, Meerkat
RIP Portia, Kudu
RIP Pilara, Red Kangaroo
RIP Wima, Wallaroo
RIP Neville, Wallaroo
RIP Pirra, Red Kangaroo

Bless these Precious Souls.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.