Thursday, December 10, 2020

Our Second Zoo Shutdown - Category BS!

I started writing this last Sunday after my Zoo visit.  Since then there's been other developements, so I'll post about that separately.

I had been out of the news loop for a couple days, when my neighbor texted me and asked if the Zoo would be open Sunday (12.6.20)  I said, I hadn't heard anything, and they are "outside".  I started networking a quiry and indeed within a short time, word came down that the Zoo would be closed starting Monday. 

Thankfully, unlike the first shutdown, I was able to get in a visit I knew would be my last for a month.  After going without seeing the Zoo Friends for four months, three weeks was sad, but not the level of upset it previously was.  The only thing I was bummed about was missing Nick's Birthday today and Twiggy's Birthday on the 23rd, and the Meerkat Triplets First Birthday. So I wished them Happy Birthday, and told all the Friends I'd see them in three weeks.  




I immediately questioned the Botanical Garden via both a Facebook Messenger and Twitter, whether they would be open.  Yes!  They responded.  Now the anger set in.   Anyone who followed my posts from the first shutdown, knows that I was outraged when the BG was allowed to ReOpen on June 1st, while the Zoo was still not allowed. Unless there was a documented concern for Animal Safety, there is no apparent difference between the two outdoor facilities.  In fact, the Zoo at least has more extensive protocols in place. 

I am not making a judgement on California Zoos, because I don't know if any conversation has transpired between them and the State.  Officials have continually stated that there would be a second wave, the possility of another Shutdown could happen.  That said, I'm curious why CA Zoos didn't band together and get Zoo's reclassified as Outdoor Museums (the category the Botanical Garden is in) ?

So, I'll leave this post with a share for those who haven't been to the Zoo recently.  There have been some nice decorations been put up over the last few weeks, that now won't be seen by Visitors through the Holidays.   A large wonderful Christmas Display in Entry Village that was done by the Horticulture Department Landscape Designer Patricio with the help of Lorraine from the Maintenance Dept.  

Pic of the Polar Bear 
when it was first done.  
By the time I took the video, 
humans had destroyed the chin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMCb2wRVX5E

Above is a short clip I did of it so people can at least see it.  It's sad that all this effort and possibly some funds, have gone to waste.  It would be nice if the Zoo could be allowed to at least let Members into Entry Village to see it and have a Holiday photo op.  Why can't there be small amount of people streaming through there, distanced, during special hours the week before Christmas?  People could be encouraged on Social Media to place online orders from the Gift Shop, and even Cafe, and then come to Zoo for pick-up.  They could have the pop-up Coffee Stand selling Hot Chocolate and other Holiday Beverages.  There would be no difference to doing something like this than there would be to Stores and Restaurants that are allowed to have take away services.   It's a thought, maybe the Zoo could seek approval for this.  It would be something for Members, and to garner a bit of revenue.  As well a perk for anyone buying a new Membership.

Keeper Jamie put out some Holiday Enrichment Decorations for the Mandrills and Atlas the Squirrel Monkey.  I got lucky and Banjo walked right into frame.  Happy Holidays! 

Please see my next post.

http://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2020/12/new-current-zoo-shutdown-other.html?m=1

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

               

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.