Sunday, February 21, 2021

ReOpening Update - Great Ape Passage Yard Vulnerability

One of the main things I was hoping to see addressed when the Zoo ReOpened on January 28, was the vulnerability of the yard that the Chimpanzees and Orangutans share access to.  ... There was none.

I have posted my concerns and suggestions about this in previous posts. ... These are just two of them.

http://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2020/11/safety-update-why-was-covid-safety-sign.html

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2021/01/new-san-diego-zoo-gorillas-contract.html

My concern about this was heightened even more when a few weeks earlier it was reported that the Gorillas at the San Diego Zoo had contracted Covid. 

I was disappointed that the path around the yard was open to Visitors, when the Zoo reopened, after the SDZ situation.  There was still no signage about Ape Vulnerability and mandatory Mask wearing in that area. 

I had planned this update the weekend the Zoo reopened, but that didn't happen.  It's been almost four weeks, and just last week something changed.

I arrived on Monday and saw this sign.  


All I have to say is Finally!  About F-ing time.  Sorry, but that's how I feel.  The Zoo has been open near six months (five after first shutdown, and this past one).  Why did it take so long, to post something that protects the Chimpanzees and Orangutans?  Shameful. 

As noted in previous posts, I suggested this signage week three after seeing too many people removing their masks at this enclosure.  A week later, still nothing.  Then Keepers made their own, and it was taken down within a week.  Seriously, what is going on, that the Animals can't be protected in their homes?

In addition to Why did it take so long, there are also these questions...  Why did I have to suggest it?  Why did the Keepers have to make their own?  Why was theirs taken down?  Why is the path even open?

The last question is obvious, as noting that the Chimpanzees and the Orangutans are vulnerable, and in a sign that size, the Zoo is showing they are aware there is a vulnerability issue.  So, in light of the San Diego Zoo situation, now more than ever, that path should be closed. 

Everyone who knows me, or has read this blog, knows I love my Chimpers.  I more than anyone, want to be able to visit them as close as possible, but their health is priority.  I would be just as happy viewing them from farther back, knowing they were the safest they can be.  

There is no reason barriers can't be put at a distance from the yard fencing.  You can see in these photos, there is plenty of viewing available at a distance from the entrance side.  There would just have to be very limited viewing parties at a time.  Unfortunately no one Social Distances anywhere in this town, and the Zoo is no different.  Path width shouldn't be a factor or excuse.  

Approaching path to yard.
pointing to dayroom window
on left
pointing to where barriers 
could be set
view from that point

On the exit side, the metal barriers could be moved up the path closer to the enclosure.

Additionally, there were two of these signs, and one was at the yard path.  If there's only going to be the two, one needs to be at the Exit side, as people use that as an entrance all the time.

The second thing I addressed in previous posts, was about the distance vulnerability, between the Apes and the Visitors.

I suggested a barrier of clear plastic, which wasn't done, in favor of curiously using mesh.  I note this as the first day back, I noticed clear plastic was used at the Train, to apparently shield Visitors in line from those exiting.  

So, clear plastic can be used to protect Humans, but not to protect the Animals in their care? 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.