Sunday, February 21, 2021

ReOpening Update - Home For The Orangutans Finally Happening

I've written many posts about the plight of the Orangutans since their arrival at the Zoo in April 2019. ... Most recently right before the Zoo ReOpened.

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2021/01/new-will-2021-be-year-that-orangutans.html

In addition to hoping to see change in protection at the Great Ape Passage Yard (see previous post), I was anxious to see if there was anything new happening at Triple Grotto for the Orangutans.  

Like with my previous update, I had planned this soon after reopening, and just now getting to it.  Initially, there was just wood "fencing" around the perimeter.  That was taken down a week later to reveal a heightened wall.   That change in barrier goes with what the architect told me about the renovation basically being a project that brings the space up to code. 

Over the last couple weeks there has been an addition, that I couldn't quite figure out.  I was able to ask one of the workers and was told it will be a bridge to link the two grottos.  This still didn't look clear as of last week.   So, it's a wait and see.  I was also told there would be some structure additions, and that it should all be done in three weeks.

Looking forward to the finished project, though I'm not holding my breath for anything great.  I still believe the optimum use of space would have been to fill in the moats and net it over.  I felt that way even before the Great Ape Passage formed at the Pachyderm Building, but now even more after seeing how much Amoi the female Orangutan loves climbing the netting.  It's almost the only thing she does when she's in the yard. Open air with moat might have been an ok quick, inexpensive fix, if the topical space was larger to begin with. Hopefully one day with proper attention to fundraising something better can be done, with a net, wall, glass combo around the perimeter.  

As well I want that enclosure to look visually as modern as possible and flow with the two other new areas.  Unfortunately, it seems the Orangutans may be spending the next Thirty years on the same size topical area as the Chimps did.  Expanding the topical area should have been a priority. 

Google Maps Satellite view of Triple Grotto.  My Aqua outline is of the two grottos that are being renovated.  The outter ring is the perimeter barrier that has been raised.  The center ring is the topical area.  The space between the two rings is the moat.  The X is the are where the bridge is being built.

That all said, the priority at this point is to get the Orangutans into an enclosure dedicated to them as soon as possible. A place they have access to all the time, not just a couple hours a day, a few times a week.  Hopefully they will like it. I know I'll be happy to not see them sitting in the tubes, frowning while looking down at the Chimps in the yard.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



4 comments:

  1. Finally, the Orangutans are getting a proper enclosure. I have felt so bad for them. Keeping fingers crossed that this works out and they are happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andie - Thank you for your comment. Sorry for the delay. And with that delay there has been a sad update to this situation. Please read the post I just did. It made me physically ill to write. I have no idea how this will end up.

      Delete
  2. Congradulations on your efforts kicking the tires on animal welfare at sf zoo. I feel everything regarding having an opinion, and questioning others whom work thinking they actually know anything about animals. My guess is the remodeling of great ape grotto looks like a bandaid solution with solution being orangutans will have man made jungle gym environment playground. Will see orangutans fumble around artifical structures with little to no natural structures to speak anything of natural state these wonderful creatures come from. Given the little concern of animal welfare, and non sense you illustrate going down at this zoo I'd say trying to combine dual usage of either exhibit between chimps and orangutans in the great ape passage is a wreck waiting to happen. Clearly the level of animal knowledge isn't like that say of Lincoln Park Zoo, nor even the sanctuary in florida that houses chimps and orangutans! I'm just saying and being practical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @junglejim - Thank you for your comment and support of my efforts. Sorry for the delay. And with that delay there has been a sad update to this situation. Please read the post I just did. It made me physically ill to write. I have no idea how this will end up. Yea as I write in recent post, the "Passage" aspect of this seems to have failed. Thankfully Chimps got new digs, but it took them 20+ years. Hopefully these poor Orangutans won't have to live here that long. I love them, but I don't love their life here. ... Lincoln Park Zoo has a great Ape leader and his wife is the Director! So they got a lock on doing things right!

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.