Thursday, March 11, 2021

Palace Of Fine Arts Swans Update - Male Passes Away, Female Returned to Lagoon

Sad News all around for this pair.  

It was a heavy 48 hours as this week began.  I found out late Sunday night that Blue Boy (the male), had passed away. Learning early Monday morning that happened last Thursday.  

This news broke my heart.  I love these two and have been invested and endeared to them for over a decade.  Their illness was upsetting, but I honestly never thought it would end in the death of one, and certainly not the younger of the two.  I was shocked and saddened by Blue Boy's passing, and heartbroken for Blanche's loss. 

RIP Blue Boy.  Bless Your Soul.  Watch over your Lady.

My Photos

I had planned to update by Tuesday, but the day got heavier and I put it off til the next morning.  The post was going to be about this loss, and a continuation of my suggestion from my previous post, about the Swans retiring to the Zoo permanently. 

That all changed when I saw this ...

Screencap Rec and Park Tweet

Again, I was in shock.  Both the action and timing is beyond upsetting.  

I had planned to email a City contact, as well the Rec and Park, after my first post on February 14th.  Per usual, I failed to do so in the following weeks.  Seriously I thought I had time and that my procrastination wasn't an issue.  When I heard Blue Boy had passed, I felt it was now urgent and sent out that email the next morning.  I felt more than ever, the City and RecPark, needed to approach the Caretaker and discuss having a conversation with the Zoo about a retirement home for Blanche.  

While I was probably too late in my effort, those that supposedly care for the Swans, the Caretaker who brought them to the Palace, as well the Rec and Park who oversee the area and apparently confer with the Caretaker, should have both thought to have this conversation despite any effort I may or may not have put forth.   It's an obvious thought to anyone who truly cares. 

I find it completely Irresponsible and Cruel to have returned Blanche to the Palace Lagoon. 

For all the reasons I noted in my previous post, management fails, lack of regular medical care, and improper diet.  When I read that Blanche was 25, versus the late teens I thought, together with this recent illness, it seemed apparent that returning the Swans to the Palace was not in their best interest. 

The latest news about Blanche returning was not only shocking but disturbing.  It appears she was returned Tuesday morning, which was less than a week after Blue Boy passed.  It was also the day a storm was in forecast.  So Blanche spent her first night (as well as last night) alone in the rain.  I can't even with this cruelness.  

Why was it so important to return her, and at that time?  If this was their (Caretaker/RecPark) final decision, why couldn't it wait another week or two?  She could have only benefited from further observation by the Zoo Hospital Staff.  

My soul hurts for this poor Lady.  

It's been reported that the cause of their illness was lead/zinc poisoning.  A build up possibly from soil and coins thrown into the water.  The Rec and Park has cautioned not to do the later.  Seriously, that it?  That's how future danger is going to be prevented?  First, I have never seen people throw coins in the water.  If this has knowingly happened, shouldn't the Lagoon be drained and cleaned of contaminating coins before returning Swans?  As well, I learned there are many factors that can cause soil contamination, so, there is no way to control that issue. The Palace Lagoon remains a vulnerable environment for Swans.

I know that my opinion about this will not be the popular one by local area residents who love seeing the Swans at the Palace, but it is the compassionate and logical one.  Keeping them, and now just Blanche safe and well cared for should be the priority.  At the Zoo she would be in a place those who love her can visit her.  Finding Blanche a retirement home there, would have and still could be, the best thing for her.  

I previously wrote about an area in the Zoo that with small renovation could accommodate them both.  Now that Blanche is alone, there are two other options that are already in use and would be ideal for her.  In fact, a Zoo Staffer thought of Pelican Lake, when I first mentioned Puente.  

Puente

Pelican Lake

It would seem, the action of returning Blanche to the Palace, is a prelude to the Caretaker buying another Swan as her companion.  

I truly believe the idyllic tradition of having Swans living at the Palace Of Fine Arts is outdated.  The progression of bad behavior by Humans dictates this.  As well, the environmental hazards that caused their illness (and death of Blue Boy) can not be controlled. Continuing to subject Swans, is Selfish.

As well, with Blanches advanced age, the next time she is not feeling well, and falls lame, she will literally be a sitting Duck out there for a Coyote.  

The right thing needs to be done by her, and that's allowing her to retire to a peaceful and safe environment with access to regular care and proper diet.  

I am worried for her.  ... If you also have concerns, please email the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Dept at  rpdinfo@sfgov.org  Attn Tamara Aparton Re: Palace Swans

Previous post

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2021/02/palace-swans-relocated-to-zoo-should.html

My blog dedicated to the Swans, contains past issue of Caretakers Kidnapping Swan Babies.  If you're interested ...

https://savesfpalaceswans.blogspot.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2 comments:

  1. I have been upset over Blanche being sent back for the past week. She should have lived the rest of her life at the zoo. The Puente would have been ideal. People just behave too badly at the palace. Sending love and prayers to Blanche. I know how much she must miss Blue Boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andie ... Thank you for your comment. I too agree that a home for Blanche at the Zoo would have been better than having her at the Palace unmonitored. It turns out the Puente would not have worked for her, but there were two other areas that would. That said, I have visited her many times and she seems to be doing fine. My concern continues to be that she is alone for the first time in her long life. As well, it's unclear what kind of diet she is getting. I also think that considering the environment she is in, poisoned her, and the toxins not removed, as there is no way to establish where they came from, she needs to be tested for lead at the very least annually, if not twice a year. From what I've gathered, there is no plan to test her, there is no consistent appropriate diet, and there are no plans to acquire a companion for her. All unfortunate and in my opinion, not in her best interest.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.