Sunday, March 21, 2021

Palace Of Fine Arts Swan Update - Is Blanche Being Fed and Checked on Daily?

I visited Blanche yesterday afternoon.  It was very upsetting, and now there are so many questions.

Last week when I heard she was returned to the Palace of Fine Arts I was shocked and sad for her.  In my opinion, doing so was Irresponsible and Cruel.   

Here is the link, for those who need to catch up on her situation.

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2021/03/palace-of-fine-arts-swans-update-male.html

I was already in for the week when I heard this news, so I planned to check on her first thing Monday morning.  I didn't get there Monday or Tuesday, and was disappointed in myself.  So, yesterday was my next day out again. ... I'm a believer that everything happens the way it's supposed to, and the Universe confirms that every time it positions me where I need to be, and at the time I need to be there.

When I got to the Palace, unfortunately it was packed, and too many people with no mask.  I maneuvered that health assault obstacle course over to Blanche, who was at the edge of the Lagoon, with a woman who was feeding her, her daily corn.  

From visiting regularly for many years, I know the Swans are given a can of corn everyday, possibly twice a day. ... A few years ago when I was concerned about their diet, as I mostly see the Waterfowl at the Zoo get a soaked pellet type food, in addition to some greens, possibly some other veggies, I researched what exactly they should be eating, and corn was a staple mentioned.  The Ritz Crackers and Cereal I saw them being fed regularly by a Caretaker, were not.  I would assume that the salt content of crackers isn't the best thing, but I don't know that for sure.

I had not seen this woman before and asked her about the feeding schedule and additional diet she was getting, as I heard the Zoo had been giving both Blanche and Blue Boy an appropriate diet and that some food was sent "home" with Blanche.

The information the woman provided was concerning and raised unanswered questions.  Among the things she said were,...  She didn't know who, when or how often anyone was feeding her.  She was asked by someone (although she didnt know who, and was not in contact with them) if she could come on Saturdays to feed Blanche corn. She was under the impression that a some feeders need a break, and possibly longer as two were going on maternity leave.  She said they were still feeding her Ritz Crackers.  

I don't know what the recommended amount of Corn is, but I think both Swans were given one can to share, once or twice a day. While I stood there, Blanche ate almost the equivalent of three cans, out of a juice bottle.  She seemed ravenous.  I have to wonder when the last time she ate was?

Blanche eating her corn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGExqz-yn0

After she finished all the corn there was, she moved along down the edge of the Lagoon towards people feeding the Ducks.  A girl came up and started feeding her a Cupcake.  I asked her not to, noting that she had a special diet.  Then a Family carrying six loaves of bread showed up.  I educated them about feeding bread, and also told them not to feed her that.  Blanche was still trolling for food, and I felt bad.  While in the moment, I felt it was the right thing to do, for her health, but I ended up feeling guilty, like I prevented her from a meal, when she was obviously hungry.  The whole situation was very upsetting.  And, I should not be feeling bad, because I'm not the one who is denying her what she needs at this point in her life. That's on the Caretaker Gayle, as she is responsible for Blanche's well-being, and the Rec and Park who should be monitoring the Caretaker.

Short clip of Beautiful Blanche on the Lagoon, going looking for a handout, because she's still hungry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPpiV36b0_g

I will keep repeating this, because I think its a valid thought, and again disturbing that returning her was the decision made.  It does not seem like it was in her best interest.  At her age, previous health issue, and vulnerable environment (both human interactions and possible toxins), she should still be at the Zoo, living in a controlled environment, monitored by Animal Care Professionals, and fed a proper diet.  I have no idea if a conversation ever took place between the Zoo, Rec and Park and the Caretaker Gayle, about a permanent retirement home at the Zoo, but I strongly feel like it should have.  I'm completely disturbed that Blanche is back on the Lagoon, and alone.  At the very least, once she got clean bill of health, they could have tried to put her at the Puente and seen how she adjusted.  It would have also given extra time for her to be monitored.

In my previous post I noted that my opinion about Blanche not returning to the Palace might not be popular with locals.  I don't know what the overall feeling is, but one of the neighborhood visitors said I was not alone in how I felt and that others that frequent the Palace were also upset that she was returned during the storm, and also worried about her being there in general.

I will continue to seek answers, as the situation seems unstable. While I did find out that the Gardeners have been feeding her, I want to find out how often.  I want to know if there is a schedule of reliable people committed to feeding and checking on her morning and evening everyday.   I want to know if anyone is following the Zoo's diet recommendations. From the information I have so far, no one seems to really know the complete management program and/or where Caretaker Gayle fits into that.  Is she even regularly involved?

I still believe that everyday that Blanche is out there alone, and unmonitored, is detrimental to her well-being.

I'm just very sad for this Precious Lady.  Please keep her in your thoughts.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2 comments:

  1. Blanche needs to be at the zoo. I agree completely with all your thoughts on this. She is so beautiful and precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andie ... Thank you for your comment. No matter where she is Blanche needs regular monitoring. I have been there so many times, and not once since this first described time have I seen anyone there feeding her or monitoring her. I was told a Gardener in the morning feeds her, but not sure if thats just her can of corn or what. And this can't be daily as City workers are not there on the weekends. I go early, by 8:30a and have not seen anyone. She comes over to me most of the time, and she looks ok so that is something to be thankful for. I just wish she was being looked after considering her age and recent health issue.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.