Monday, August 30, 2021

Acknowledging Nine Zoo Friends Who Have Left Us

I finished this on the date below, and never got to publishing it.  

August 8, 2021

I wrote this in June and never posted it.  Two weeks ago I heard that Ramona, the San Clemente Matriarch had passed away.   I had a bond with this lady, and like many Farm Friends, I've missed interacting with her since the covid shutdown.   Sadly, too many have left in the past year and those interactions are only memories now.

June 28, 2021

I started writing this when I heard Malagra (female Guanco) passed away.  I did several posts last year to acknowledge all the Passings that I knew about, because the Zoo often does not.  At the time, I had put those draft posts on hold, so I was writing about other things.  Years ago I used to try and post about each Passing, but as I got more overwhelmed with issue posts, those became my focus.  I have felt bad over the years, not to write about each one, and now as I write this abbreviated post I feel even worse.  I started and intended to write something short about each one, including my personal connection with them, with a photo or video link.  At the time it was only two.  

It's saddest to write about a lost Friend too soon, so I wait. Unfortunately as I waited this time, more Friends kept leaving us.  

Soon after I found out Malagra passed away,  I read that Lily (female Duiker) had passed.  Then it was Merlin (male Alpaca), then it was Garcia (male Wolf), then Nataani (male Sheep).  While in conversation about Nataani, I found out the Mac (Rooster) had recently passed.  Just as I was about to finish working on my original post, we lost Cobby (male Chimpanzee), and Prince (male Wolf) in the same week.  

As I write these names, I think about those that I haven't heard about.  The ones I will read about in the Joint Zoo Committee Meeting Minutes, whenever I catch up there.  I'm glad that they are documented publicly, so that I at least know what happened to them.  At the same time, it makes me sad, that the Zoo doesn't recognize each one, with at least a social media post.  I expanded on this in a previous post.  I think every Being deserves a mention.  Some may not be publicly known, or would gain media attention for the Zoo, but they matter to all who knew and loved them.  Big or Small, every Being should be treated as a Member of the Zoo Family. 

Some Residents get acknowledged in one way or another, others nothing.  Take for instance the two most recent Friends.  Cobby and Prince.  One got a sign, one did not.  One had a bucket in front of the sign, for those who wanted to leave flowers, one did not.  How hard is it to make a sign of remembrance, and put a bucket out for those who wish to pay their respects?  The Zoo has a computer, color printer,  laminating machine and buckets.  So what's the problem?

I will also mention that the same, some do and some don't, extends to Birthdays.  How hard is it to post a Birthday Wish for everyone?

It hurts my Soul when one Resident is not shown the same Respect for it's life and service to captivity, than another. 

As I wrote in the post prior to this one, because of the issue posts I have in draft, and the drain it puts on me to write issue posts, which is the reason I've had some of those drafts sitting on my computer for over two years, I've decided to shorten this post and a few others, so that I can finish those drafts and be done with them.  They are a weight, because they highlight so much that is wrong at our Zoo.  Unfortunately, things just keep getting worse and I have to lift the weight.  Once I document something, I feel like I've done what I needed to.  

The sadness has just been too much lately.  I'm not sure what the future holds for me writing about passings as I would want to, but I wanted to acknowledge these eight Precious Beings at this time.  Lucky to have had them in my life and to have known them, some abit more than others.  I have spent a good portion of time over the past thirteen years at the Farm, so those Friends I knew very well, and had hands on contact with.  I have also spent alot of time with the Chimps over the years.  I grew up going to the Zoo and grew to know our original four as individuals since I started spending more time at the Zoo in 2008.  When the dayroom opened, I was amazed at the connection it allowed.  Beyond what I imagined.  I'll end this post with this photo of me and my Friend Cobby smiling at each other.  It's my favorite. 


I could write so much about how each one of these Precious Beings has touched my life.  For now I will just send out a Blessing to each.  

RIP Malagra, Bless Your Soul.
RIP Lily, Bless Your Soul.
RIP Garcia, Bless Your Soul.
RIP Merlin, Bless Your Soul.
RIP Nataani, Bless Your Soul.
RIP Mac, Bless Your Soul.
RIP Cobby, Bless Your Soul.
RIP Prince, Bless Your Soul.
RIP Ramona, Bless Your Soul.

It was a Privilege and Gift to know each one of you.  Love You and Miss You.  

A couple video links of Cherished Friends

Nataani and Ramona

The Merlin Head Shake


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


2 comments:

  1. God Bless those special zoo friends that have passed. You are right, they should all be acknowledged the same. I haven't zoo'd in awhile but sure miss these special friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andie ... Thank you for your comment. As always I apologize for the delay in replying. ... Thank you for Blessing these Friends. Sorry you haven't been able to visit them. It hurts my Soul when they aren't treated equally.

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.