Sunday, August 8, 2021

Blog Status, Future Post Subjects, & Rec and Park Fails

This Update is going to cover a few things.  My current position in regard to posting, a listing of upcoming posts, and an abbreviation of two posts that were going to be stand-alone.  One an Update on the Palace of Fine Arts Swan, and the other a hopefully short documentation about the Zoo's perimeter fence.

I write this as I sit here not feeling great, so to say this is not what I want to be doing, is an understatement, but I feel I need to try.  I'm at a moment in time when I can no longer have Zoo Fails weighing on me. It would be easy to just stop for the time being and shut everything else out, but because of how passionate I am about the well-being of the Zoo Friends, and the future of the Zoo, it's a weight that is hard to let go of after twelve years of constant bearing.  I saw this graphic recently and related to it.   


Zoo stuff that takes up too much of my thoughts and time. I put myself in this position by not documenting things in a timely manner, and letting them build up.  While the procrastination was meant to be a way to stay calm, it just ended up compiling into an enormous weight.  I think if I get certain stuff out, I will have those weights lifted, and right now I desperately need that.  

Some may not understand when I talk about the weight, but most don't understand what is going on at our SFZoo. Sometimes I wish I didn't, but I think I have been positioned to know what I do, because I have the strong character needed to be a voice.  In the past twelve years there doesn't seem to have been anyone else outside Zoo walls who has spoken up for the Zoo Animals. Honestly, it's a burden alone, but that's what happens when you have a conscience and compassion.

So, since there are posts in draft that are going to nag at me, I have to get them published.  So I'm gonna make an attempt to bat them out and they may fall short of the well-rounded documentation I usually try and make each post, by providing all the information and photo support that I can, but wading through all my notes may not happen.  I might just end up winging it from memory.  I'm gonna do the best I can with the energy that I have right now which is pretty much zero, and hope It's enough to illustrate what's going on with the subject matter of each post.  

That all said, I have to note that the Zoo by all accounts (not just mine) is probably in the worst place it's ever been and that is solely because of mismanagement.  It is desperate for change, otherwise it won't last the way it is being destroyed, seemingly at every turn, with each day that passes.

And that said, I'm sure the Zoo Director and others in management won't like what I document, my opinions, thoughts, etc.  I have made myself vulnerable with truth before and I'm not afraid to do it again.  The retaliation I've endured in the past, by all accounts, is not legal, just a bullying tactic.  

I heard a quote recently, "You're going to piss folks off no matter what, that's just life.  Might as well be for something worth a damn."

Current Posts In Draft -  Below are some of the posts I've had in draft for too long.  Some several months, some up to three years back.   I'll note the subject and description.  Some have working titles. There might even be some condensing, rather than making separate posts for ones that could be combined.  While I like a certain flow, this may also not be the order they will be published.

Passings ... Recognizing Zoo Friends who have passed recently, and the continued disrespect of not acknowledging many of them.

Animal Go-Round ... Comings and Goings and questioning why there are no announcements.

Farewell Tucker ... I started this post in early 2019 when I first heard about our Hippo leaving.  To date the Zoo has not made a public mention of his departure.

Where Are The Monkeys? ...  What happened to all the Monkeys when the Primate Discovery Center was torn down.

Secret Safari ... A look at the Animals living at the former FCC (Feline Conservation Center).  Who are they, why don't they have proper homes, and why was (pre-Covid) the Zoo charging people extra to see Animals that should be on exhibit?

Where Are All The Animals Period! ... A look at empty enclosures, Animals leaving and hoarding Animals that have no homes. 

Fundraising ... Why is there none?  Casualties of lack of fundraising efforts. 

Orangutans and Triple Grotto ... More thoughts about this, as time ticks on toward the Orangutans breeding recommendation status in a few years.  ... This one might be bumped to the top of the list in light of a current notation.

Snow Leopard Expansion ... My thoughts on it even happening, as well as what it means for other Animals. ... Original is a two-parter.  Hoping to condense.

Madagascar Project ... I call it the MAD Project, both because it's mentally Mad that it even got the go-ahead at this time, in this decade even, and Mad because it outrages me so much.  This one project encompasses all that I think is wrong with how the Zoo is managed. 

Note that these are not all the posts I've started over the last few years, but the ones that are the weights, because I think they contain information that supports mismanagement.  For me, that has to be documented.  I hope there are many of you that agree.

Palace of Fine Arts Swan Update -

The last update I did on Blanche the female Swan, was back in March, soon after she was returned to the Palace after being treated at the Zoo for lead poisoning.  Sadly, her longtime mate Blue Boy, did not recover.  In that update I expressed concern about her diet, among other things.  I sent an email to the Rec and Park about my concerns, starting with the fact that she was returned to the Palace alone, as well, questioning whether there was ever a conversation about keeping her at the Zoo, and whether or not she was finally receiving a proper diet.  Not surprising that even though I am very clear with my questions, they were not answered.  What was surprising is that they said, in addition to forwarding my concerns to the Park Staff, they forwarded to the Zoo as well.  Curious action, as at this point the Zoo was not part of her current care.  I thought because of this, I should document that correspondence action.  If I wanted to involve the Zoo, I am fully capable of doing so on my own.   

I never got a response from the Park Staff in regard to her diet.  I again recently saw one of the Volunteers feeding her. She was giving her, her regular can of corn.  I asked if that was all she was getting, and was told, as far as she knew yes. Two weeks ago I saw a Rec and Park Gardener, and asked the same.  She said that in addition to the corn, they are giving her a pellet food, and some greens.  I am satisfied with that, and hope the pellet food is a proper waterfowl diet.  I will follow-up with again requesting they plant edible aquatic plants for her in the lagoon inlet.   Unfortunately, she remains alone there.

Zoo's Perimeter Fence -

In early 2019, I had been parking along Sloat at some newly opened spaces by the old entrance.  It was during that initial walk along the perimeter fence that I noticed how awful it looked.  Seriously it makes the Zoo look downtrodden.  There's a link at the end of this post to a video I made about it last year.  Here's a photo of just one small portion.

I never wrote anything about it, because it was not something I wanted to complain about, when the Zoo cries poor for so many things that the Animals need, I would not want them to spend any money on a fence.   That doesn't mean there are aren't some valid thoughts and questions regarding the situation.

My first thought was, this is a rich City and this is shameful. While the Zoo does get a "managing fee", from the City, the Zoo falls under the umbrella of the Rec and Park, and if there is something in need someone needs to step-up.  I'm sure that is not outlined in the Lease Agreement, which at this time I don't have the energy to sort through.  I do know that the Bison Paddock fence and grounds are the responsibility of the Rec and Park, while the care of the Bison is the Zoos.   I was once told by a Park Gardener that Rec and Park General Manager Phil Ginsburg, would allegedly call area managers in a tirade, if there was even one piece of trash on the route of his morning run.  So, the first thing staff did in the early morning was to go out and clean Ginsburgs route.  So one has to wonder, if it's not on Ginsburg's route, does it even rate?  

For that matter, has the Zoo Director even look at the fence?  Has she tried to get the City or Rec and Park to help replace the fence over the thirteen years she's been at the helm??   This fence has been deteriorating for a very long time, in fact those pillars might have even been there since it opened in 1929.  Someone has had to notice.

I understand lack of funds, especially when you don't do any real fundraising, but over the past twelve years, I've seen money spent on things that are unnecessary, when some money could have been used to by some lumber.  One thing that we didn't need, and believe me, I'm all about vintage Polynesian, but we didn't need a Tiki Hut above Mandrills, when the fence is in shambles.  As well, during a time when the Zoo first started to close off paths, fencing went up all over the place to cordon off those areas.  Couldn't some extra planks been bought at the time, and used to replace the crumbling ones along Sloat?

So, later in 2019, I had seen a new fence going up along Kezar Drive, that bordered Sharon Meadow.  Then not long after, I noticed the same type of fencing going up down Lincoln  bordering the Botanical Gardens.   After I made that video, I went to Botanical Gardens and saw a sign about Fence Projects.  Note that the Botanical Gardens, like the Zoo, is managed independent from the Rec and Park. Now I had serious questions.  If the Rec and Park had extra bucks for building fences, they need to help the Zoo out.  I emailed the Fence Project Manager.

I inquired about the Project, noting that there was an area within the Rec and Park system that needed desperate attention and asked if the Project was over or if they still had funding for more.  I got a great response, "Thanks for reaching out.  Yes, we are constantly replacing fencing across the park system. Please let me know what park you are concerned about and I can look into it."  So I sent him my video, and explained that the Zoo did not have money for needed Animal projects, so they can't be spending money on a fence.  He responded and said he wasn't familiar with how things get done at the Zoo, and reached out to the Manager of Policy and Government Affairs.  That guy said No!  They would not help the Zoo, it's their responsibility. ... He also noted that guy forwarded my concerns to the Zoo. 

I was seriously pissed about two things.  First, but not foremost, that again the Rec and Park passed on my concerns, because as I said with the Swan situation, if it was something that the Zoo needed to be involved in, I am obviously capable of contacting them myself.  And, I've already noted, that is not something I'd want the Zoo to spend money on, especially at this time, when so many Animals are in need.  I was clearly seeking them to include the Zoo in their Project of Rec and Park needs.  Second, I have to say, How dare the Rec and Park not be willing to help an entity of their system, if they have the means to, considering the desperate shape that fence is in?  Not only does it look bad, there are dig holes from Coyotes all along there.   

The Rec and Park sure makes sure all their Park places have inviting appearances.  I guess the Zoo is at the end of the City and no one cares that it looks like crap.   It's a shameful position for them to take.

Also if you listen to the video, you hear me talking about the Bison Meadow being brown, that is in reference to their grass.  I asked several Bison Keepers if they had ever seen sprinklers in there and they said no.  I had planned to inquire with Rec and Park, as these are grazing Animals and even though they get a Zoo diet, they need fresh grass.  As well, there is no other patch of grass in the Rec and Park that has been left unwatered to dry out.  Well, with my procrastination, there was a turn of events.  One day I saw sprinklers in there!  Then realizing it was during the 150th Anniversary of the Park, I had to wonder if it was part of the improvements they were making in hopes of big celebrations.  Festivities didn't happen large scale because of the Pandemic, but at least the Bison got some fresh green grass out of the deal.  

Link to a video I made last year of the Fence situation, including a look atbthe new fences being put up by Rec and Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB6-a5o1R-U

Previous post:

Why Did It Take Almost A Year For An Effort To Keep The Chimpanzees Covid Safe?

http://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2021/08/why-did-it-take-almost-year-for-effort.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



2 comments:

  1. MAD is a excellent description to label that questionable exhibit. As enormous as it is they missed the boat giving up on the Aye-aye program. An shoot given the size of the exhibit there is no crocodilian species included. What's up with that? Zoo has opportunity to be a better place, but no doubt it's in the wrong hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Junglejim ... Thank you for your comment. As always I apologize for the delay in replying. ... Haha! My MAD reference actually came about while I was constantly making notes and abbreviated Madagascar and then realized MAD had a double meaning! ... You are indeed right on! about the Aye-Aye enclosure. I have missed them since it closed. And now with MAD, Big Fail not to have them a part of that area. ... Interesting you mention crocs, there once was an alligator housed in one of the monkey areas temporarily. This was in the 90s. A juvenile gator was found in a park lake and brought to Zoo til it could be transferred. To where I don't know, I didn't follow the Zoo's every move back then. ... You hit it! ...has the opportunity to be better, sadly not in these hands. Director has had thirteen years and all she's done is ruin the place.

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.