Sunday, October 10, 2021

This and That - Recent Short Item Notes

I hadn't been to the Zoo in over a month, when I returned for a visit on September 27, there were a few new things worth mentioning.  Also a few other short items.

> The first thing I was hit with was this new sign at the crossroads just past the gate house.  I already noted it in a previous post, so I'll add in a screencap from that.  Apologies for repeating here.  



I'm also bothered that they built a nice frame around this sign, but the Orangutans have yet to have anything new built just for them.

> The next sign I saw was very curious.  A good deed, but a curious one.  The Zoo has NEVER posted a sign when an Animal is transferred to another Zoo.  So this one about Tucker's departure is curious (sorry, no other word applies).  The only fail is that in saying he will be called Tucker in Cincinnati, is that they still can't bring themselves to say, Tucker is his real name.  They continue to use quotes around it, like its a nickname.  Ugh.  

                           

I posted this in my September 5th post, before Tucker left.  So,...

I've posted several times about Tucker, noting for his fans to follow him on Cincinnati Zoo social media.  The best resource is the Facebook Group, Fiona the Hippo.  I cry tears of joy everyday seeing him so happy with his new Family.  It's bizarre (or is it really?) that SFZoo hasn't shared any of Cincinnati's posts since Tucker's arrival. 

I can't get enough of his underwater face!  Who knew?! this was happening below the water line!  Love so much!  I just smile and squeal at the amount of cuteness it is!  I don't think he's stopped smiling since he was introduced to Bibi and Fiona.

screencap Cincinnati Zoo FB

And as expected, although sooner than I thought, Tucker has made it on Cincy merch!  I was anxiously waiting for this since before he left!  See the link below to order. 

screencap CincyShirts

> Another new thing for me was this mural up by the Chimp yard.  


Nice to see something colorful on the blank wall, I like the heart leaves that seem like repros of messages decorated by kids, but I'm not a fan of this as a whole. Art is very individual, it either speaks to you or it doesn't.  It's creepy to me that the Chimpanzee is underground. 

I actually had a mural idea in mind for this exact space, since this area opened.   In my notebook of ideas, mine was based on a mural of a Chimpanzee that I saw online and loved.  I thought something similar with an Orangutan as well would have been beautiful.  I wish I could find the screencap of the mural I saw to post here, but I'm not that organzied, as I screencap constantly, and have none organized.  Someday!

> Another notation I made in a Tucker departure related post, was about our female Gorilla Kimani.  

Kimani came to the Zoo two years ago, and as of the September 18 date of that post, she had not been mentioned. 

Again, curiously, when the Zoo made their World Gorilla Day post on Sept 24, they included Kimani, even using her real name!  I say included, since they didn't mention her in 2020. 

screencap SFZoo Twitter

I can only figure that now they finally acknowledge her since they can call her something.  By that I mean, they were obviously unable to get the $15,000 to rename her, so I guess the poor lady gets to keep her true identity, but only by default. 

> Reaching back a month or so, while driving on Great Highway for the first time since it reopened, I saw the work being done at the south-east corner of Sloat, at the water station.  Immediately I was bummed not to see the Mosaic Statues that have stood on that corner spot for thirty years.  

I always associated this installation with the Zoo, since the one that popped most was the Lion.  

screencap 
artandarchitecture-sf.com

I hope they were saved and will be replaced, but the last couple weeks that spot seems to be taking on another shape, and while I'm still holding out hope, I'm doubtful. ... I finally emailed the contruction company this weekend to find out what happened to them and their fate.  Hope someone will get back to me. 

Here is some history that about the Statues and Artist that created them.  

https://www.artandarchitecture-sf.com/earth-air-sea.html

> Going back to signage, this was new this past week.  



They had this Nigel series last year.  I think its a fun thing, my issue is this...  If the Zoo can put a large size sign on a barrier for a game, why can't they do the same for safety?  All the signs that pertain to this issue are a great deal smaller.  The largest one, seen here on the post, is about a fourth the size.  Those who have followed my blog, know I have had a huge problem with barrier safety, specifically at Bears, Hippo, and this very enclosure at Black Rhino.  You can search the blog for  "barrier" if you want to read more of what I think.  But yea, Ugh. 

 > Thought I would close with this and the next item out of respect for these precious Beings who brought joy to many lives.

Something else new for this week, was our beloved Jamie actually got a sign.  


Thankfully there are more words about this lovely lady than they posted on their social media, which I complained about in my September 23 Tribute post for Jamie.  Curiously, her faux name is not in quotes, nor are those of her Tampa Family Twiggy and Nick.

I miss this little girl so much. Tears still stream everytime I think about her.  

> Sadly, we recently lost two other Zoo Friends. Koala Akoonah, who came to SF from San Deigo less than two years ago. So sad that another young Koala has passed away.  Kudu Girl born August 29, sustained trauma from an alleged run-in with a fence.  I'm pretty sure a female calf from a couple years ago, suffered the same fate.  The details of this loss are heartbreaking as it is, but for it to be a repeat cause of death, makes it really upsetting.  Why did this happen again?  The Zoo should not be allowed to breed Kudu if they can't keep the babies safe.

It's disgraceful that neither got a sign or a mention.  This was the sign at Koalas.  The disrespect of lack of recognition of life is hurtful.

RIP Akoonah, Bless Your Soul

RIP Little Girl Kudu, Bless Your Soul

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



2 comments:

  1. This Comment posted to the wrong post. Reposting for user Andie ...

    Andie October 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    Love all the exposure Tucker has gotten from his new zoo. He's really become a celebrity!!! I want a t-shirt. I will miss him here in San Francisco but am beyond happy that he's got a wonderful life and hippo family now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andie - Thank you for your comment. It showed on a previous post so I added it in here where it seems to have been in reference to.

      Yes! Tucker's new life seems to be a fairytale! I knew he'd win hearts, and be famous, but he his popularity has surpassed what I could have imagined! He deserves it! Thankful for the people of Cincinnati and beyond who have shown him so much love! ... Get a shirt before they sell out. Mine is already washed and ready to wear when the rain lets up!

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.