Thursday, April 21, 2022

The Animal World Has Lost A Hero - RIP Dr Steve Ross

This was not what I thought I'd be writing about today.   

When I checked email this morning, I was again surprised that there was no reply from Steve.  He always got back to me the same day, often within hours of contact.  I had been checking since emailing him Tuesday evening in regards to a blog post I planned to write today.  I was waiting for his input. 

I again checked email about an hour ago, and was shocked at what had come through.  This from Erika Fleury, Program Director at NAPSA (North American Primate Sanctuary Alliance).



I still can't believe it.   I literally had just got an email from him days before about something else I asked for his knowledge on.

I first became acquainted with Steve at the start of 2015.  I had just started my crusade to save our SFZoo Chimpanzees, after learning that Director Peterson had planned to kick them out.  I was sickened that instead of improving the home they had lived in for over forty-five years, our three seniors were being forced to face something so horrific.   I contacted Steve, who was the Chimpanzee Studbook Keeper for the Species Survival Plan (SSP).   I was seeking to understand the SSP protocol in regard to minimum group size, but I got much more.  During the course of my crusade, we talked many times by phone.  His advice and education, was invaluable.  

For the years since then, he has always been there for any questions I had or issues I needed feedback on.  He was always willing to share his knowledge, give his opinion, offer advice, or help in any way he could.  Because of Steve's position in Zoo World, our friendship was extremely confidential.   Until now, I have only told one other person.  I can write this today, and do, so that people who didn't know him,  can learn about him, and be thankful for the good he has done for Primates.  

A few years back, after waiting for a new home in our SFZoo, our Chimpanzees were finally able to experience their new yard.  That coincided with our Director acquiring Orangutans without having a proper home for them.  Somehow instead of alternating use of the new Chimp yard, the Chimps were locked out of their yard for seven weeks straight.  Stuck inside with no outdoor access for the entire summer.  Once I finally had enough of that, I contacted Steve for advice.  He said, "Let me make a call."  The next day, the Chimps were out in their yard!    

Steve was a gem and this is a huge loss for so many and in so many ways.   I am grateful for all the time he spent on things that were important to me.  I valued his advice, knowledge, and kindness.   I admired his care for all non-human Beings and his passion for Primates.  He sure loved his Apes!

RIP Steve, Bless Your Soul.  Hoping you can orchestrate some good from the other side for all non-human Beings, as you did while on this side.   

Please view this video filmed during the Lincoln Park Zoo Covid shutdown.   Steve gives a tour of LPZoo Ape Center.  You can feel how much he cares for his Ape Family.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/live/?ref=watch_permalink&v=2561066280827717&_rdr

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.