Saturday, April 29, 2023

Update On Big Cats ... New Pix Of Jasiri

After my post last week about the Big Cat enclosures, I had an immediate after thought.  If two Jaguars are coming, and there is now only one enclosure, that possibly means one will always be off exhibit.  

I know nothing about housing of Jaguars, so I checked the AZA Care Manual and learned the specifics.

I inquiried with Sacramento Zoo how these two are housed, together or rotated.  Most of the photos posted by the Zoo and Visitors are of the female, which leads me to believe they do not co-habitate.  SacZoo never responded.

It's curious SFZoo would even get a breeding pair as longtime rumor is Director Peterson allegedly does not want to breed much, especially large Animals.  Who knows, but that definitely leads to never breeding Tigers Jillian and Teddy, therefore causing them to be transferred out.  As well, SF Received female Gorilla Kimani on a breeding recommendation and three years later she was allegedly still on birth control, although I have not inquired recently.  Our male will be 42 in July, what are they waiting for?

Back to Jaguars.  So, the ZooFest Auction noted in my previous post, included the item of ReNaming "our new Jaguars".  Someone told me they heard we would only be getting one, and another maybe later.  That aligns with the recent Joint Zoo Committee notation of only a male.

So back to what would the housing be if SF does ends up with a breeding pair.  Will one be stuck in the Lion House half the time?  Assuming they would rotate them both to yard every day.  If the female gets pregnant, will that arrangement still work until any offspring are able to go outside, or will the male be moved off exhibit to FCC as soon as she's pregnant?  Either way, he will most likely be moved indefinitely at some point.

I really wish more thought had gone into expanding the Cat yards and only one was done.  We need three enclosures, how Director Peterson didn't understand this is beyond me.  

Lion Jasiri remains alone, and allegedly no companion has been identified.  

I did recently see Jasiri up for a few minutes as I approached the enclosure.   It was good to see him in motion. ... This morning I saw photos from last weekends ZooFest.  The photographer got some nice ones of him.  I haven't seen him at the window in over a year, so these were a treat!   I have only seen him (and/or Sukari) on the A yard side once since the expansion, and that was only because of enrichment placed there for Sukari's Birthday.



screencaps from drewalitzer.com

Related Post

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2023/04/status-at-big-cats.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.