Friday, May 12, 2023

New Lion News! - Jasiri's New Girlfriend Identified!

I learned two things yesterday that I couldn't share til I was near 100% sure about. One detail, had me busy last night compiling a list of female Lions who could possibly be Jasiri's new companion.  I had sixteen on that list.  After some research this morning on each one, I narrowed my list to four.

I just saw the Joint Zoo Committee Agenda for this months meeting next week. Based on that, I'm pretty sure I just confirmed this beautiful little girl from my short list, will be headed here, and hopefully soon.  Tears of joy are flowing, I'm so happy for Jasiri.  I can't wait for her to get here! 

Meet Lulu!  

The first thing I noticed when I saw her is that she's a blondie, like Jasiri and his Mama Sukari.  Her Mama and two brothers appear to have the light gene as well.  When I first saw Sukari, her stunning coloring stood out.  I saw her at a distance and thought she resembled a Mountain Lion.  One of her daughters gave birth to a white cub, though he eventually turned blond.

Lulu was born at Lee Richardson Zoo in Kansas, along with four brothers, on May 17, 2015.  Both she and Jasiri are eight years old this year.  It will be wonderful to see him have a companion his age to play with.  She has lived her whole life with her Mama and Papa, so I hope she won't have too difficult a time adjusting to this huge change.  

I'm sure Sukari will be resting peacefully once her boy is no longer alone.

I hope she can quarantine on exhibit in the C/D Cat yard.  Even though there has been conflicting information on whether the Jaguar will eventually move into that space, I hope the Zoo will hold off on that (and possibly acquiring a female Jaguar) until full introduction between Jasiri and Lulu is complete.  With limited Cat Yards, this seems the only way to allow Lulu a decent amount of space until she begins sharing A/B Yard with Jasiri.

I noted the Yards the way I did because it's the logical space for each, not because that's what the Zoo intends to do.  Jasiri and Sukari have lived in A/B almost exclusively for a year, I think he should stay there.  And, he does like the windows and heated rock.  I mentioned in a  previous post I hadn't seen him at the window in a longtime, but that's changed.  As for C/D, I think the straight across length of that space would benefit a species like the Jaguar more, as they are runners.  Anyway, just my opinion.

With all the new Cat news, will I ever get to that damn Madagascar post before it's fifth year in draft moves to six?

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.