Thursday, May 11, 2023

It's All Happening At Cats!

So, a week ago today I learned that the male Jaguar, Tikal was going to be temporarily housed in Cat E, the original Snow Leopard area where the Twins were living. The Twins have been moved to an off exhibit enclosure at FCC. ... There is still conflicting information whether the move truly is temporary, and he will eventually move into one of the expanded Cat yards, or whether E will be his permanent home.

On Monday I was told Tikal would be moved to the enclosure the next day.  Hoping to catch a glimpse of him, I went round on Tuesday, but learned he wasn't in quarantine as some staff thought, but on his way from Sacramento.  I finished a good walk round and went by in case he got there and was possibly let out into enclosure to stretch his legs after being crated and on the road.  The van was arriving as I approached, so I watched them unload the crate, and waited a bit, but gate never opened.  

Welcome Tikal!

There was an event scheduled that evening for donors, so I figured they were probably waiting for that, so to get a first glance.   On cue like that should not be depended on, and as such I heard he never came out.  

He also never came out the three hours I circled about on my walk round yesterday.  I tried, and hoped as the sun shined brighter it would lure him out, but it didn't.  I was told he came out in early am for a quick sniff of his new home, but went back to night quarters.  Can't wait to meet him, fingers crossed for next week!

I posted an update to a previous post when I got home Monday, as I had learned a few things, related to information I posted.

>> Updated 5.9.23 ... I have learned that while this pair was a breeding pair at Sacramento Zoo, their union was allegedly unsuccessful. This aligns with why only the male has been acquired by SFZoo.  So, I'm assuming maybe this pair is being split-up, and a compatible female is still being identified. <<

While circling the area, I was also unsuccessful in catching a glimpse of the new lady Ocelot, Tica.  I've hear she was only seen out once.  I read that she was not on public view in last two previous homes, so that explains her shyness.  Might be a long time before we see her.  

In encouraging news, it seems a companion for Jasiri could be happening very soon!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.