Friday, June 23, 2023

Madagascar Exhibit Update - Fossa Enclosure +

I know I have still not done my full Madagascar post that I started making notes for five years ago.  That time frame may be ridiculous, but more ridiculous is that this project has taken so long and is still no where done.  My estimation is late 2025.

Who knows when I will do that Madagascar post, I have other weights going on, so documenting Zoo stuff is on an energy whim.  That said, I heard the Fossa area could be ready in the near future, so I took a look at it the other day.  Will be nice for them to be on view, considering they have been here over five years!

I don't know why SF acquired them before there was an enclosure for them, but after over a year of housing in the hospital and a small portion of what is now the Francois Langur enclosure, they have been living at the off exhibit area formerly known as FCC. ...  

In case you missed my video of them from 2018...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5OaWnXoaQ&pp=ygUObGVvODExc2YgZm9zc2E%3D

Last week as I walked past the former Patas Monkey, more recently Bald Eagle, enclosure now vacant again, I wondered why there was never a renovation to that enclosure, so they could be on view.  Would seem it could house the Fossa if some containment additions were made.  Considering they could have occupied the space for five years and the space wouldn't have been empty for lengths of time, it would have been a decent investment.  I only bring it up now to document, the length of time animals that can be on view aren't, and that there are often empty spaces in the Zoo that may be able to accommodate them.

My video documentation: https://youtu.be/9wLmcDuUdQA


So, a few things I mentioned in the video, I'm going to add a bit about here.  

First, the original architect rendering of the Madagascar project:

This is the plan that I said I still can't figure out what's going on from this.  Maybe my brain is just blocked for some reason, but when I look at this, I see a spectacle of illsuion.  The whole night time lighting effect spectacle, and the one netted area illusion.  This does not show a firm plan of what is going where, except for that damn million dollar baobab tree.

And the description:

I have taken a photo of this sign as a whole before, and don't remember ever reading this part that states what Animals are intended to live here.  Maybe I was so stumped by the visual plan, I never got any further.  That said, I'm definitely stumped by the mention of twenty-four animal species.  Other than the resident seven Lemurs, the Fossa, and I'm assuming the Aldabra Tortoises, I haven't heard about any others.

What I have heard over the five years is that there is no plan, and details for the giant pit continue to be vague and fluid.  In my opinion after a couple years of it being stagnant, a construction eye sore, a logistic pain in everyone's ass, and years of paying for a rent-a-fence, they should have filled the pit with the Fossa enclosure, another mammal like Mongoose or Fanaloka (which would be very cool), the Tortoises and Birds.  Then used leftover funds to renovate the old Nocturnal area that actually housed Malagasy species.  

What did end up happening, and I posted about this before, is there was/is? an alleged plan to build an enclosure for the Pygmy Hippo?! If this is the case, what happened to the original plans that dictated the Zoo lose seven Primate species???  Monkeys are one of the most popular species in a Zoo and this project forced out four Monkey species and for what?  An up in the air plan?

Anyway, gosh I'm feeling like I'm getting part of that Madagascar post done here!  So, if indeed the plan is for a Hippo enclosure, it should be for River Hippos.  Hippos are popular and everyone loved Tucker (former River Hippo) and everyone loves Akobi (current Pygmy Hippo).  The renovation to Tucker's old enclosure to accommodate Akobi's species specific needs, turned out nice.  That area seems perfect for him and space for a future companion.

Last weekend I thought as I have before on occasion, what could be done at the Zoo logically, for the flow and collection.  Not going to give all my ideas, but considering neither Hippo species is from Madagascar, as all from the island are extinct, I looked at the map River Hippo habitat range.  While the Pygmy Hippo range is on the east side of Africa, the River Hippo is on the west side just across the way from Madagascar.


Not only does this make sense geographically, as I stated in the video, Tucker's new son will need to leave Cincinnati in the coming years and if SF could get him that would not only be awesome but a very smart move considering his popularity.

Ok I'm exhausted... So much rehashing makes me feel insane lol!  I dream of a future where the stupid Madagascar project is done, that damn fence is down, and we have a new Director!  Who's with me?  I see alot of hands being raised!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.