Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Happy Birthday Slider!

Getting back to posts I wrote a couple weeks ago, finally adding photos and video links...

As I keep noting, I'm behind in so many posts. There have been Animal updates I've wanted to make in the recent times and just didn't get that far.  So, working backward, I'll start with Halloween day.

One of my besties is my Farm Friend Slider. Born October 31, 2009, Slider celebrated his 14th Birthday on Halloween.  

I inquired with a Keeper several days prior, to see if he could have Birthday treats.  It had been years since, and it was about time to start celebrating his Birthday again.  I was thankful everyone was on board, and very happy to get to once again spend Slider's special day celebrating with him while he enjoyed his cake and other treats.


Here are two of my videos from Slider's Birthday party!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=j8F9nVCVylKxzO0u&v=SE0-A720FqM&feature=youtu.be

https://youtube.com/watch?v=af8jqs9BImI&si=0dyWtjMj-LsIen4w

I Love this boy and so happy to see him!  It had been awhile, usually I have to talk to him from the barrier fence in the parking lot.  The only place to view him, is in the sand corral and I've seen him there less than half my visits over the past several years.  He has been kept most often out of public view, either in the grass corral or his bedroom area.  He often is in one of those places all day, only coming out to the sand corral on average about four times a week.  In my opinion he doesn't get rotated enough.  He definitely shouldn't be in the back grass corral or bedroom for entire days.  He should have access to the other areas for at least a couple hours each day.  Not only for his own enrichment, but he has lots of friends who rarely get to see him.  Management needs to make this happen.

He used to go to the front area on red barn side, but hasn't been given access there since his birthday four or five years ago.  He loved it!  See him running along side his friend Lee in my video below.  In the clip, you can hear his Keeper say, "it's exercise" and "he loves people".  Why he's been denied these varied enrichments for so long is beyond me.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WhQfyLhy8C0&pp=ygUPbGVvODExc2Ygc2xpZGVy

He also had access to the yellow barn contact yard (one time?), when the farm reopened after the shutdowns.  Another great space for his friends to visit with him!  

Seeing my cute friend after no face time for months.  I think he missed me as much as I missed him!

*~*~*~*

While waiting for Slider's party, I stopped at Meerkats, who were still actively enjoying their Halloween Enrichment.  

This is male Mkhaya.  Named by a Curator, it is the name of Mkhaya Game Reserve, a nature preserve in Swaziland, South Africa.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.