Saturday, November 11, 2023

Meet Pacha! - The Zoo's New Tapir!

It's been at least a month since I read in the Joint Zoo Committee Minutes that our SFZoo would be getting a Tapir!  To say that this news was exciting, is an understatement.  Anyone who knows me, knows I had bond with our beloved Tapir, Goober.  I loved my friend Goobie, and miss him everyday.  He was the first Tapir I knew, and immediately became endeared to the species.  He is the reason this blog is named, I Am Not An Anteater, and his photo is the background.

When there is a new Acquisition, I try to learn everything I can about that Animal.  Mostly for my own knowledge, but since the begining of my research on all the Animals in 2008, I also enjoy sharing what I've learned.  One of the things I am passionate about, and no surprise by this, is knowing their original names.  I'm a name purest, and have made it no secret how I feel about name changing.  I'm sure the Zoo will waste no time Re-Naming him, so I'm here to tell you, his name is Pacha!

I immeadiately found it was most likely two-year old Pacha who would be moving here from his birth Zoo in New Orleans.  I had planned to share info right away, but there is still tough stuff going on in my life, that either puts me at momentarily motivated, or doing nothing at all.  So here we are, a month+ later and Pacha is already here and out on view.

Within an hour of hearing he was out, I changed my errand route direction and headed to the Zoo.  Overcome with emotion, I had tears streaming, at the possibility of seeing a Tapir again.  All I saw was his little backside peeking out from behind the lean-to, while disappointing not to see his face, I was happy just knowing he was there.

Get to know Pacha.  Born on July 2, 2021, to Mama Ixchel and Papa Tybalt, he was the first Baird's Tapir born at the Auduon Zoo.  

Read about his birth and see his adorable babie photos...

newsroom.audubonnatureinstitute.org/endangered-bairds-tapir-born-at-audubon

When Pacha was a year old, he picked his own name out of three chosen by his Animal Care Staff.  I'm personally glad he chose this name.  Pacha is translated in the native Quechua language, to "world above", which is rooted in Incan Mythology of the Cosmos.  I love the meaning.  One can hope, Pacha will be able to keep his name, but one can not hold their breath on that.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mItsN6Z0xjU

Yesterday I saw that his home Zoo gave him a send-off, with Going Away themed Enrichment.  

https://m.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100077266899460&story_fbid=347113224540905

Hoping to get lucky and see his face this week!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.