Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Fossa Finally On View! - Hi Violet!

Getting back to posts I wrote a couple weeks ago. Finally getting to adding photos and video links.

In early October, I had been round to try and see the Fossa, in the Madagascar, eternity to complete exhibit, a couple times.  

The exhibit is split into two enclosures, one at ground level and one upstairs.  I never liked the idea of this, in fact thought, Why the hell would anyone think putting these Animals on top of a concrete structure was a good idea.  My first impression is, it's too small, and awkward looking.  I don't like it for them.  From what I first heard, it sounded like they would have full access to top and bottom, but then I learned they can not be housed together, so there it is, each one gets a small area.  

At the time, there was supposedly some kind of issue with the bottom enclosure, so the male hadn't been moved down from FCC yet.  The female initially had access to the bottom, which I heard she liked, but is now exclusively on the top level only.  Hopefully they will be rotated between the two areas.

I scanned the enclosure for her, and saw her sleeping on the ground by the shift door to the lower level.  After hearing that she liked the lower level, I felt bad she was sleeping by the door, seemingly waiting for it to open so she could go in.  I don't know, obviously just my thought.  I said, Hi Violet. She continued sleeping, so I waited hoping to eventually see her face.  I was looking at the phone for something, when about a minute later, I heard patter, and turned my head.  She had come over, right up to the fencing to greet me!  It was so sweet! and I'm lucky their footies make a good slapping sound on the cement, or I wouldn't have seen her.

Hi Kim!

My video, includes overview of enclosure:

In case you think the Fossa are new to the Zoo, they have been here near six years.  Like other wonderful Animals, they were kept hoarded away in various places.

Meet our Fossa ("Foosa") female Violet and male Dorian, in this post I did over five years ago when I finally got to see them for the first time.  They were being kept in an awful caged area, that was behind the scenes but viewable.  They had arrived at SFZoo eight months earlier, and held hostage in either the hospital and/or a quarantine area.  

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/03/sfzoo-stop-collecting-animals-you-have.html

Anyway, glad we are all getting to finally have access to view this beautiful species.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.