Thursday, March 21, 2024

Disturbing Animal Disrespect - Shooting Simulation!

I plan to do some catch-up posts this weekend, but I have to do this first, as it was so upsetting to see and still sad to think about.

Yesterday was my only Zoo visit for the week.  While I was spending time talking to Boomer, wishing him a belated Birthday, and general lovey chat, a group of unruly school kids came loudly barreling into the enclosure area.  

You would think uniformed private school students would at least have some manners but not this group from Woodland School in Portola Valley.  Checking their website, they note this "CHARACTER... We build character in and out of the classroom, it’s an integral part of our teaching philosophy."

Well I didn't see any good "character" from some of this group.  Yelling in this peaceful off path, sheltered enclosure, and then the really offensive act that set me off.  Two of the students rolled-up their paper, and pointed it at Boomer and made like it was a gun and they were shooting!!!  Not only was I horrified, my heart sank and my soul hurt for my precious friend Boomer.  I know he didn't know what was going on (thankfully), but I did.  Anytime I see or hear disrespect towards an Animal, it hurts.  

The lack of empathy, especially from anyone visiting a place where Animals live, is truly disturbing.  I have seen too much at the Zoo and in our Parks.  More often, from Adults, which may be the reason Adults accompanying kids don't surpervise accordingly.

Of course I reacted at the time of action, and told the kids that was awful, and that hunting isn't cool.  I also told the chaperone what had happened and that such an action is unacceptable towards any Animal, especially in a Zoo.  She did talk to them, but still, it happened and unless further education on how to be respectful of other living Beings is put forth, another instance of the same, will most likely happen again from these same kids.

The Zoo used to have a Guide or Security give a talk before school groups would enter, I haven't seen that in awhile.  That said, I never felt the talk was heavy enough on behavior at enclosures and toward free roaming Animals, basically noting to Respect the Animals.  But, that doesn't surprise me.  I shared my idea about a welcome video at the ticket and gate house areas, that includes showing the Animals, but the goal being highlighting etiquette around the Animals.  Something I think everyone should be reminded of upon entry.  That has never happened.  I would hope an extensive print out of etiquette in writing is given to school groups  upon entry, if not in advance, but I don't know it that happens, and if it does, how heavy on Animal Respect it is.

There are always going to be Zoo Jerks, but the Zoo can always do better to deter some of that behavior.  

Good Grief People, the Zoo is Their Home!  View Peacefully or Stay Home!

*~*~*~*~*~

Next time you visit, stop by the Walk-About and wish Boomer a Happy Belated Birthday!  He turned 44 years old!  I checked the Zoo's Socials and didn't see any mention of his special day.  So Shameful!


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.