Friday, March 22, 2024

Response From Woodland School Regarding Shooting Simulation

After writing my post yesterday, I also emailed the School.  I wanted to connect with them, incase the incident was not talked about later.  I also included the link to my blog post.

I received a satisfying response today in their favor, so I'm sharing it as it's necessary to for well-rounded documentation.  Additionally, I feel it shows this was recognized as something that was an issue that required further discussion.  


I feel their response, and the actions they took, appropriately covered the situation.  Below is my reply to their email.

"Thank you for your response.  The attention to this by all that you have shared is commendable.  Thank you.  In these times especially, it's important that kids inappropriate actions are dealt with, in hopes it makes an impact on what kind of adults they will become.  Thank you."

When I started this post, I had not thought about my personal experiences with situations at the Zoo that I have reported and that have been mishandled.  Certainly not my intention to re-air them here, but their response had me thinking about the extreme difference in how our San Francisco Zoo handles issues and how apparently properly managed facilities do.

I won't go into to much detail as I think the gist is enough, and I think I documented the incidents at the time.

Four incidents come to mind.  

*One season, myself and others were heavily present as we observed the Flamingo nests daily for hatchings.  One of those days coincided with the Zoo's Octoberfest event.  I spied a group of people who were inebriated and holding beers.  I could tell two specifically would be trouble.  They ended up standing right next to us.  At the time there was no fencing as barrier, and nests were very close to public.  One of the jerks, picked-up something from the ground, leaned back like a baseball pitcher, at which point I said, do not throw that!  I was met with obcentities yelled at me and the jerk threw the object at a Parent Flamingo sitting on an Egg on a Nest and hit the Bird.  Obviously I went postal.  Gave them a lashing and called security.  Security came, chatted with the drunk group and then let them continue on their way.  I was not satisfied that letting people who target and harm the Animal Residents are not kicked out, I took it up with the Supervisor on Duty, Bob Cooney.  He told me he made a judgement call. I asked him to explain how someone throwing something at an Animal is even something that needs thought about how to handle it.  They should be thrown out.  I insisted he be responsible for his decision and explain it to me.  He got on his bike, and said, I don't have to talk to you.  

Now granted there are two things I will note.  I am treated differently than everyone else, because Director Tanya Peterson created such the notion when she falsely accused myself and a friend of calling in a false report resulting in the Zoo's own communication team issuing a code-red alert.  Anyway that's a whole other thing.  I only bring this up as it lends to the way I was treated by the majority of staff for a very long time.  Not so much in current times, as I think all staff have now got Peterson's number.  That said, the stigma with me lingered long and still comes into play with some who feel because I monitor things, it's justified to treat me differently.  Not my problem.  What is the problem, is that Visitors, even Members are allowed to do whatever the hell they want and there are no consequences.  

The other issue, again involved an Animal related situation.  I was also at the Walk-About at the time, and a Mother was holding her kid over the barrier.  If you're new to my documentation, search this blog for "barriers" and you will see I've been ranting about barrier breaching for years and how it can get our Animals murdered.  So, not only is the kid hanging over, she's waving a five foot stick at the Emu as he passes by the fence line.  I said, Yea, they don't want you hanging over the barrier like that.  I also mentioned the stick, which honestly I wanted to grab and break in half.  The Mother's response to me was, Shut the Fuck up, or Fuck off, something like that.  I said Wow, now you're swearing at me.  So I called Security.  Now you may be thinking, what for?  I agree, as I'm a big girl, with a fowl mouth that can battle with the best of sailors, but after Director Peterson's bullshit againt my friend and I, a big sign of Zoo Rules went up on the side of the gift shop, geared at having recourse for banning us, since she failed at keeping us from having memberships.  That's right, she revoked our memberships, but was forced by the Board Chairmanto reinstate them.  Anyway, I digressed.  So, one of the rules states something about using vulgar language at other guests.  So I always bit my tongue when interacting with jerks.  I called Security multiple times over near a half hour.  At the point this woman left the Walk-About I followed her so when Security finally came, I could point her out.  Well, we cross paths with Walker one of the front of house Supervisors, who listens to what happened and takes over.  I watched his interaction with this woman, and I was appalled.  There was no serious facial expression from him, instead he was laughing with the woman!  I had reported an incident where both actions could result injury to our Animals, and yet this was funny to him, and of course this woman was allowed to continue on her way. I will also add that I was told she was a Member.  If I had gone over a barrier, or swore at another Member or any Visitor I would have been banned.  Others, no repercussions.  

I know I said four instances came to mind, but now my ears are pulsating. I'm disgusted rehashing just these two.  Briefly, one other involved people throwing rocks at the Tiger and nothing happened, on their way they went.  That outcome really bothered the Security Guard who was sent to talk to the jerks.  He told me, talking to them is all management allows.  Unreal.  The other was during the height of Covid when someone not wearing a mask was by me coughing.  I told them masks were required.  They came right to my face, no mask and coughed, three times.  I'm not a violent person, but it's at those times I wish I was a good sized guy with a big fist.  Anyway, I called Security, Jerome talked to them and let them go on their way, before the management representative I requested to talk to got there. They were Members and Security never got their ID or contact info.  Why, who knows.  Lame protocol, or Kim reporting protocol?  I had been health assaulted during a pandemic, by Members, and guess what, that's right nothing happened.  Both Walker and Evelyn from Security, failed to properly handle the situation.  

Who do we blame for these incidents and all the others witnessed by myself, other Visitors and Staff?  We must blame Director Tanya Peterson for she dictates every aspect of what goes on there.  Sure there are lame Staffers, I've talked to them, a couple who have taken it upon themselves to enter into bullshit conversations with me obviously because they feel like they can based on the stigma some still project onto me, but in general, I have to assume their hands are tied by the guidelines they are Directed to follow.  No one wins when jerks are allowed to perpetrate inappropriate actions against the Animals and others, and get away with it.  That's disturbing and mismanagement.

Boy, this totally turned into something I hadn't intended.  I apologize if you read til the end and feel much was unnecessary to rehash.  As I wrote, I felt it was in tune.

Here's a few photos for a bonus.  I often end-up at the Yo Toads when they are going to lunch.  I got the full series last week.  ... On their way and back home 😊 They are taken out and food monitored so they each get the appropriate amount. I'm told necessary because they aren't good foragers.  This takes less than a half hour, so swing back round if you miss them. There are three Yosemite Toads in this habitat as you enter the Children's Zoo.  The female has white under her chin, she is in the middle, the two boys on either side.


Previous Post: 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.