Monday, September 9, 2019

Welcome Nick! - New Male Chimpanzee - First Glance! 9.4.19

It has been in the works for some time,  to add three more Chimps to our current four.  Two Girls and a Boy are moving here from Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa.  Three weeks ago the Boy arrived.  I assume the Girls will follow at anytime.

I had heard he was being introduced to our Boys Cobby and Qadeer.  Last Wednesday I got my first glance at Nick!  All three had access to the Dayroom, while Maggie and Minnie were in the Yard.  The Girls were often hootin' and hollerin' as they ran back and forth between the yard and the chute that leads to the dayroom.

Here's my first photo of Nick, he's a cutie!  and a link to some video clips!  So happy to see there is no drama with the Boys, and in the video you can see Nick give Qadeer a hug as he passes by.  So sweet!  I hope they will all be good friends!



Weeks before their arrival, I searched for information on the three.  Found that the only Chimps currently at that Zoo were Nick, and females, *Abby and Twiggy.  This was the only current video of Chimps taken there.  I waited til at least one arrived before posting it, as things change.  Now seeing Nick, I think the video is of the Girls only.  

Nick is 28.  He was born December 10, 1990 at Forth Worth Zoo.  I will write about the Girls when they get here.

Exciting times for our Chimpers!  So happy for them!  I have been wanting to post this photo since the first time the path along the new Yard was open.  I started to cry seeing this sign with our Tallulah's face on it.  Sadly she passed in 2013.  Our Chimp group waited decades for a new area, and thankfully they now have that, but it breaks my heart that Miss T didn't get to enjoy it with her Family, Cobby, Maggie and Minnie.  So, seeing her face at the new Yard touches me, because it makes her a part of this new experience.  I know that even though she is not there physically, she is there with them in spirit and they know it.  Miss You Beautiful Girl!


Update 9.23.19
*When I did my initial research, I only found two Girls names, Abby and Twiggy.  A third name Jamie appeared in less recent articles.  I thought she may have moved to another Zoo. It turns out Abby was the one who moved, and is now residing at Maryland Zoo.  Jamie and Twiggy are our new Girls :)  More about them here
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2019/09/welcome-jamie-and-twiggy-new-female.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.