Sunday, September 8, 2019

Triple Grotto Renovation Post Follow-up - Orangutans

I made a video that I didn't have time to clip together in time for my last post.  Its a walk through of Triple Grotto and Great Ape Passage.  I thought it would be helpful to see what I'm referencing.


Two comments to the previous post.  One from an SFZoo Member, the other from an Erie Zoo Member. 

Had a random thought the other day.  I'm pretty sure they are still trying to train Ollie for recall (from outside to inside).  He has still not gotten with the program, but I don't think its because he doesn't know what they want, I think he's just not complying.  I mean he's an Ape, he knows his name, he knows where the food is.  So, until he can be recalled in, he will most likely continue to not be given access to the yard.  That said, its kinda the Zoo's Karma for not having Triple Grotto done.  Everything happens the way its supposed to.  If they had done things right and Triple Grotto was done before the Orangutans got here or were done with quarantine, Ollie may not be so resistant to the program.  I 100% believe he is non-compliant in protest for being taken away from his family, which is not the Zoo's fault, this is what happens, but it is the Zoo's fault that upon landing in an unfamiliar place, he was immediately subjected to construction on the other side of the wall. That did not help at all. In fact from what I've learned about his personality before coming here, I think it has been a detriment to him.  That all said, this situation with only having one yard for both the Orangutans and the Chimpanzees, would be even worse if they had two active Orangutans on their hands and no where to put them!  They are lucky at this point that Ollie doesn't require much space.  

Amoi and Ollie have been spending relaxed time in the same trail!  I saw them sitting side by side the other day eating!  This photo taken week before last.

While looking for something, I came across this news article again.  Re-reading it, this quote by Director Peterson is even more disturbing considering the Chimpanzees had no outside access for seven weeks.
Screencap from article:
https://www.sfgate.com/news/bayarea/article/Orangutans-Now-Viewable-At-Sf-Zoo-For-First-Time-13897881.php

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.