Sunday, September 22, 2019

Oh Yea She Did ! - Zoo Director Changes Names of New Chimpanzees!

If you read my last post from earlier today, you know how my visits this week started.  It was exciting to see the new Chimp Girls on Monday, but then I witnessed something Wednesday that has been upsetting ever since.  I usually visit a few times early in the week.  I went again on Thursday just to check the Chimps. I may write about that upset another time.  Now I must write about this one.

Thursday, while I was still at the Zoo, friends started messaging me.  This was one of them.  It came from a longtime Zoo Member who has studied Great Apes for several decades.  So, as I have written my disgust in name changing before, know that I am not alone. 

This is the Screencap from the Zoo's Email Newsletter, Animail from 9.19.19 ... We knew it was most likely coming, but at the same time, hoped it wouldn't.  Hoped the cycle would break.  ... Note the reference to "Gombus", His Name is Qadeer!
As my friend wrote, "Why Lord, Oh Why????"  With a ? for each one of our four new Chimpanzees that have had their Names, their Identities, stripped from them, by Director Tanya Peterson.  ... Answering Why?   I honestly can't relate to even thinking this is ok, to speculate why someone else would. 

Renaming Animal Beings has become epidemic at the Zoo.  Many disrespects over many years.  I have to say that I thought the new Great Apes (Chimpanzees and Orangutans) would possibly be exempt.  Silly me to think that Beings so closely related to Humans, might be able to hold on to their Identities.  It really is wrong.  

I would bet, that no other Zoo renames Chimpanzees, or other Great Apes for that matter.  

As I previously said, I have written about name changing before. I'll add some post links at the end. In short, I think any Being, who already has a name, should not be re-named.  Period.  Naming babies without names, should be the only time naming rights should be auctioned off.   That said, there should be guidelines attached to that privilege, and not just allow someone free reign because they are writing a check.  Of course, I have to note the most disrespectful re-name, that of the first Komodo Dragon.  Personally I do not like Athlete names, Celebrity names, two names, initials, or anything inappropriate or as a joke.  Aside from auctioning off names, somewhere along the way, Director Peterson started also re-naming Animals for other assorted reasons, that allegedly had no monetary donation attached to them.  Mostly after local Athlete's, which I can only figure is in an attempt at a few fleeting media grabs, like the Romo guy from the Giants, who one of the babie Langurs was named after.  Romo came to the Zoo to meet the babie and was then quoted in the newspaper saying the Langurs weren't even a favorite!  Rude and Ungrateful.  This is why you don't name after people, they are often not worthy.  

So, in regard to our new Chimps... The information as I know it, their names were not purchased in a naming rights situation.  The new names were given, I guess as some kind of reward for being good people to the Zoo, which means they have donated in the past.  The couple, Michael and Connie, were apparently long-time Zoo supporters.  I was told they tragically passed away last year.  I had not heard their names before, until recently when I saw a sign in the landscaped area surrounding the Great Ape Passage, naming it a Memorial Garden after them.  That is an appropriate tribute.  Not renaming an Animal who already has a name.  The Beth person, is a Docent and was also responsible for the lead donation for the Great Ape Passage, allegedly via the Estate of a friend.  I think the most disturbing thing about this naming, is that being a Docent you know the Animals come with Given Names.  I personally would not accept the bestowment, but say thank you, and request the Animals name remain as given.

As I said, I can't understand why Director Peterson thinks it is ok to rename Animals who already have names.  In this case,  the only assumption I can offer is, that she thinks this is honoring these three people.  

If that is the case, and even if it isn't,  Where is the Honor for these Animal Beings, who have carried these names their whole life?   
 My Name is Nick!

My Name is Twiggy!


My Name is Jamie!

Every Animal Being at the Zoo gives their lives to be on display.  There is no Zoo without them. Honor that, by honoring them and their Identities. 

Related posts:
Chimpanzee Qadeer Name Change

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.