Sunday, September 22, 2019

Welcome Jamie and Twiggy! - New Female Chimpanzees - First Glance 9.16.18

This past Monday started off scary, but turned into a great surprise!

When I walked up to Chimps, Minnie saw me and came running to the edge of the platform in front of me.  She was screaming and waving her hand at me.  She has done this before when she's trying to tell me something.  I said, What's the matter Mins?  She still kept screaming.  I quickly glanced around and after a head count of four realized Cobby wasn't there.  I freaked out inside and ran into the dayroom.  No Cobby.  Ran back out and asked a Keeper, with tears starting to stream, Where's Cobby?  She said, He's in with the Boys, these are the Girls. I was a bit confused, it turned out the new Girls, arrived and within two days all behavior indicated they were ready to be integrated with Maggie and Minnie!  They were in the dayroom over the weekend and this was their first day in the yard!  Lucky Me!

Welcome Twiggy and Jamie!


Meet Jamie! ... Jamie is 41.  She was born November 13, 1977 at Busch Gardens, Tampa.  She came to SFZoo from Lowry Park Zoo, Tampa, where she has lived since 1988.  She and Twiggy are half-Sisters, sharing the same Father.

Meet Twiggy!  ... Twiggy is 33.  She was born December 23, 1985 at Busch Gardens Tampa.  She came to SFZoo from Lowry Park Zoo, Tampa, where she has lived since 1989.  She and Jamie are half-Sisters, sharing the same Father.

They are beautiful girls!  They seemed comfortable right away.  Jamie found her favorite spot in the south-west corner at the fence, where she sat and interacted with people, while Twiggy took to the netting and climbed up to the top of an ocean view.  When she wasn't working her way around the net, her fave spot seemed to be the landing on the stairs that lead to the short trail.  

Here are some of the cell phone clips I took that first glance day.  More to come after I upload from my camera.

Jamie and Twiggy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wFlrznLQgQ

Twiggy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEGensyLh2E

Jamie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwMpMDPa5RA

Screencapped from the Lowry Park Zoo Facebook.  Their Farewell post to Nick, Jamie and Twiggy.  The post notes a bit about their transfer to SFZoo.  I'll add the additional information that like our, there were other Zoos with small groups.  The SSP has been working to consolidate those groups, so their members can live in larger social groups that would be closer to what they would in the wild.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2 comments:

  1. Wondering what happened to Jaimie and Twiggy? Didn't see their names on the SFZoo website?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous ... Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately the SFZoo renames every Animal that comes their way, making it hard for those who knew them at other Zoos to follow them. Jaimie's name was changed to Beth, Twiggy's to Connie. I never use thise names. If you follow the Zoo you will see those names used. ... I'm very sad to share with you that Jamie passed away in 2021. Her passing was a hard one since we bonded the first day I met her. She ha not been sick, and passed suddenly from a heart related rupture. Im so sorry.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.