Sunday, August 23, 2020

RIP Henry - Sea Lion Passes Away

Another Heartbreaking loss to my Zoo Friend Family.   

Someone sent me this sad news late last Sunday, with questions I couldn't answer.  What happened, and why was there no public announcement, on social media or in media, about his passing.  

I was in shock at this news, as I don't remember hearing he had any health issues, and he was so young.  Estimated to be less than two years old when he arrived, I put his age at ten years old.  It's hard to believe he's gone.  

When I went to Henry's home on Monday, I saw the notice.

It's hard to see the Sea Lion Pool empty.  It was hard to go there after losing Silent Knight last year, it was just too sad and now with Henry gone too, it's beyond sad.  Hard to believe they are both gone.  They were here nine years, but it still feels like such a short time.  

As noted in an earlier post a few weeks ago, I haven't always wrote about Passings.  I have started to now, because the Zoo does not give equal attention to each Passing.  I think each Animal deserves to have their life recognized.  Since I wasn't posting Passings when Silent Knight left us, I want to include the photo that was at Sea Lions after he passed away.  Bless this sweet guy, I have missed him.

As an SF native, Sea Lions have always been a part of my life.  As a kid, I clearly remember this pool in it's heyday, when a cart would sell fish to feed the Sea Lions.  As a young adult, I would feed the wild ones at the pier.  They would jump out of the water high enough to drop fish in their mouth.  

A visitor to The Marine Mammal Center for near forty years, I was so happy when the Zoo was able to provide a forever home for two Sea Lions, who had been rehabbing at TMMC for the past year. Anytime the Zoo can provide a home to rescues is for me, a plus, as I feel it is what Zoo's should be doing at this time in history.  

Silent Knight and Henry were rescued for different reasons, but both suffered from issues that prevented them returning to their wild lives.  Silent Knight suffered severe injury after being shot in the face.  Losing one eye, and being blinded in the other as a result.  Henry was found suffering from malnutrition.  It was determined that he had little to no sight. A few years ago, Henry underwent surgery to try and restore the sight in one of his eyes.  You can read the story here:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/SF-Zoo-s-blind-sea-lions-look-on-the-bright-side-11178271.php

There was a beautiful sign at the Sea Lion Pool, that told the rescue stories of Henry and Silent Knight.  Sadly when I was there Monday, that sign had already been taken down.  I wish the Zoo would have kept the sign up as a tribute to these two wonderful lives we were blessed to know.  It was because of them that the iconic Sea Lion Pool was refurbished. Regardless of who inhabits the pool in the future, Silent Knight and Henry should remain a part of its history.  

Much like hearing the Lemurs alarm calling when the different species cross paths, or Big Cat vocals, hearing Sea Lion barks from other areas in the Zoo, is part of the joyous sounds of the Zoo.  Sadly, those barks were less after Silent Knight left us, and now without Henry, they are no more.  There is a noticeable silence.

Some of my favorite moments with our two Sweet boys, was watching them do their slip slidin' when their pool water was being refilled.  I have a few videos up, this is one of my favorites.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZBxl5lB7Z4

My life has been enriched with them in it and for the times I've watched these two having fun, and enjoying their life.  I've missed Silent Knight, and now I'm missing Henry.  Such a loss, but thankful to have known them.

I know Henry and Silent Knight have been reunited on the otherside.  I love them and hope they are having a beautiful afterlife together, finally being able to see eachother.

RIP Little Henry, Bless Your Soul.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.