Sunday, August 23, 2020

Untitled - Conversation with Staffer Documentation

This post is mainly for personal documentation purposes.  The reason for this blog and a couple others before it, was primarily to document things I thought just weren't right.  It still is.  While most of the posts do contain subject matter that I want the public to be aware of, you will find if you read further, this really isn't necessarily one of those.

Last week I was approached by a Staffer, we had a decent dialog.  I had some after thoughts, that nagged at me, so I decided I needed to express those in person.  That Staffer was not available for conversation at the time we crossed paths, so I said, I'd catch them next week.  I fully intended to discuss it this coming week, but further thoughts, made me feel like documenting it was the better way to go.  I felt like I needed that protection, so intention is not misinterpreted and my words and vibe of the conversation can't get twisted.

As most who have read this blog, including Staff, know I take alot of photos documenting what I write about.  I take photos of the grounds and there have also been photos of people behaving badly, pretty much exclusively at the barriers.  I have been documenting that single offense for near ten years.  I feel it is the most dangerous issue at the Zoo in regard to Animal Safety.  I feel like it should be attended to and hasn't.  So I continue to document it, in case something ever happened, and I pray for the Animals sake it doesn't, but if it did, there would be proof and the Zoo couldn't say they didn't know it was an issue.

In addition to offenders at the barrier, which is the primary offense, we now have the whole removing of the mask situation.  I consider this a health assault, so again a safety issue.

So, the other day, I was told I can't take photos of people.  I was told someone complained, and that people aren't comfortable having their and their kids photo taken.  

This is completely understandable.  I am not an unreasonable person.  I am in no way challenging this request.  

I respect being approached, as I can have an adult conversation, and if necessary counter, if I feel something is not justified.  I don't think I misbehave, or act inappropriately, in most situations, especially at the Zoo, where I know my every move is watched.

In that conversation, I said, that's fine, but I did counter respond. I noted that I never take photos of people's faces full-on. I do take photos of misbehavior scenes or to document other situations. In fact, on the rare occasion if full-on faces are shown close and I have used them, I have covered them. Noting (what I previously wrote) that they are mostly for documenting the barrier situation, so they can't say they didn't know it was an issue.  

The points of the conversation that were curious in after thought, are what I want to document.  I know it sounds conspiracy theory, but I know for a fact that they are always looking for a reason or a reason to manipulate, to pull something on me.  I'm not saying this is one of those situations, I'm just saying its out there as their MO in regard to me, because of this blog.  In the past, they have never had a valid reason for taking my Membership, and yet they have and without giving a reason to me either time.  So, yea, this is always on my mind.  

It's also curious that this has come about, after I blogged last weekend.  Even though I consider what I wrote to be constructive criticism, pointing out things that need to be better and how they could be.  When the posts are based more on outrage, for the next few visits, as I approach the entrance, I honestly feel like, because of my past experience, I never know if I'm going to get into the place. 

So, a couple things that sounded fishy in this conversation.  First, saying a visitor complained.  Of course there's always room for being wrong, but it does seem it is unlikely that a visitor complained.  I looked at the two photos I took that day, one hours before of someone's hat, and one ten minutes before I was approached, which was of people (adults) sitting at the cafe tables not eating, with their masks off.  The pic is a side view and no way these people saw me, and if they did, it seems very likely if they had an issue, just like I would, they would have said something like, hey are you taking my picture?  This would most certainly happen if there were kids involved, which there weren't, yet kids were mentioned to me.  Lastly, there was a Staffer standing there, and I think the more probable scenario, is that they were the one to "complain".   

Also, when I've complained about misbehavior, I have been told by Security, they can't say anything to people unless they see the offense (barriers, masks off, .. ).  Using that, it would seem like a Staffer had to be the witness.  If not, then approaching me about something they didn't personally see, goes against the policy Security has put forth. 

The day before, I was talking to Security, and my friend who was still at an exhibit, came up.  In conversation about misbehavers, my friend showed Security a photo she took of people over the red barrier lines.  At no point did Security tell her not to take photos of people.  So, it seems there continues to be different rules for me?  Additionally, several years ago, there was a Security Guard who actually told me to take photos to show them so they could have a description.  I'm not saying the no photo thing isn't valid, just that it's the first I've heard and doesn't seem to be consistent.  It's also curious that the Zoo's own photographer and News media that cover events, do not get permission from everyone that they take photos of.   I have personally been in "scenes" that have been photographed by both and have been published.  I have never been asked for my permission, maybe I'm not comfortable with that either.

Anyway, I'm just noting all of this, again for documentation purposes, in the grand scheme of things.  I am not challenging the request to not take photos of people, just the scenario in which it was presented to me.  

I always like to include a photo.  Coincidentally I took this just after the above mentioned conversation. Thankfully no Humans behind me, and hopefully Cobby doesn't complain that he's uncomfortable being in my selfie.

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.