Monday, August 10, 2020

SFZoo Re-Opening - First Day July 13, 2020

Well, to say I'm way behind on this is an understatement, especially since now, weeks later, I have some critiques and suggestions.   I would have preferred to do this in a timely manner, but that does not seem to be my MO, no matter how hard I try.  

I took alot of photos and video clips the first day, and meant to do a Re-Opening video for this, that showed most of the Zoo and the Safety changes, but there were so many clips and just too time consuming to re-watch and put together.  I think the ones I chose to use showed a good deal of not only the changes, but how my first day back went. I'm sure you will be able to tell how happy I was to be back and able to see my Zoo Friends.  

San Francisco Zoo Re-Opening, July 13, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OYtsH151A

I want to expand on something I said in the video.  In my video you hear me say, I hope they (the Animals) haven't been ruined (by the Shutdown).  I say this in passing right before seeing Lions.  I had went round to several Friends who I always talk to and who usually react in some way when they hear my voice.  Other than a few who made eye contact, I found that reaction was low key to nonchalant.  So what I meant by the shutdown/no visitors, ruining them, I meant I hoped that the ones who enjoyed seeing hadn't given up on those experiences, which are also a form of enrichment.  So, ruined was probably not the most accurate word, and even if they have become blase' about seeing visitors, that's ok, as long as they are happy and healthy, that is all that matters. 

I do want to give a shout out to the Friends who showed me some love. Jamie/Chimpanzee, who ran to the window and gave me big smiles. Minnie/Chimpanzee who gave her signature air fist bumps.  Amoi/Orangutan who recognized me masked and blew me kisses.  Sukari/Lion who interrupted her nap to give some smiling eyes. Gauhati/Rhino and Tucker/Hippo who gave ear wiggles.  

I thought the Zoo did a good job with Covid Safety Protocol.  The signage was good, the use of the PA system was great, although the first day I only heard it play once, but that's increased since, to at least hourly.  I think it could even go to every half hour.  The more reminders, the better.  Every half hour would also allow for those waiting in line to hear it, before coming in and being distracted.  

You can hear the PA Announcement in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNcEvSuhElw

I like that so many things commonly used, benches, rails, ... were covered with caution tape, although I think there might be a way to do that better, will detail in a future post.  As well, it's a bit inconsistent, but that might be well within the Health Dept guidelines.   

I think overall, a good job is being done.  It is better than the Botanical Gardens, safer than going to Safeway or Target, or even being out in the Park trying to dodge No Maskers and No Distancers. 

So, for my big issue ... You might have heard me say in the video that I was surprised the path around the Chimps was open.  I'm actually shocked and really upset by this.  By all accounts,  the path was closed during the Shutdown, so Why is it open now?  I was glad to be able to see the Chimps in the yard, but for their safety, I think it should have been left closed off.  I'm very worried about them being exposed to visitors.  I wrote about concerns I had pre-Shutdown.  

From March 9, 2020 post:

"Last weekend when the news put forth more heightened CoronaVirus scares one of my first thoughts was about people coughing without covering their mouth while the Chimps were at the fencing.  With them being susceptible to the same things we are, I think its a valid concern, but I haven't confirmed that."

I will continue this Re-Opening theme in multiple parts, since this is supposed to be just about my Re-Opening day impressions.  We've wrapped-up week four and I have much more to say.  It's hard not to blurt it all out, but I don't think that would read as, well organized.  Next, I will write more about my Chimp concerns. I will also do a post that will detail my suggestions, on how things might be improved upon.  So, please make sure to read the follow-up posts, as my feelings have really changed and that will be documented in those posts.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.