Thursday, September 23, 2021

Remembering Jamie - Chimpanzee Lady Passes Away

Last Saturday the Zoo lost it's most personable Resident, Chimpanzee Jamie. 

In one of her favorite spots.

The Chimpanzee viewing areas reopened to the public on Monday afternoon.  Jamie's absence from the group would be noticeable to any of the many regular visitors, so at that time, there should have been a sign about her passing posted.  If the Zoo wanted to write a more detailed announcement at a later time, that could have still happened.  Unfortunately there were those who were left to wonder. What the Zoo finally did release could have been posted Monday, as it was a brief statement that included using only the name they disrespectfully renamed her.  Even in death, this Precious Lady could not be given the respect of her real name being acknowledged.

So little wording for someone with such a big personality, just will not do.

She was given the name Jamie at birth, November 13, 1977 at Busch Gardens, Tampa. In 1988, she and her Sister Twiggy moved to Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, where they lived before moving with their group member Nick to San Francisco Zoo in September 2019.

At Busch Gardens, Jamie was hand-raised and taught gestures, as she would be used in their entertainment shows.  Both these actions would lead to her being imprinted on humans, and lend to the aspect of her character that so endeared her to everyone who met her.  It also seemed to cause her to distance herself a bit from her Chimpanzee group at times, preferring to spend time with humans.  Upon my return to the Zoo after the first pandemic shutdown,  I happily observed her spending more time with her like species friends.  As much as I enjoyed hanging out with her, anytime I saw her interacting with the other Chimps, it was a beautiful thing.

Minnie and Cobby had been my besties for many years, but from the first moment we met, Jamie became my best friend at the Zoo.  All I had to do was arrive at the window and she would come over to me. She could sit there indefinitely, just hanging out and interacting. Interacting with a Chimpanzee, is an extraordinary experience.  I never think of them as Animals, or rather non-human animals, but just as another Being.  

One of the gestures she would make, was pointing to the lower part of her arm near her wrist.  I'd always smile and say, " What time is it?... It's Jamie time!"  She would smile so big!  I'm still shocked at her passing, and it's surreal and very sad, that there will be no more Jamie time.  

The other day, I stood there sobbing, and talking to her Spirit.  One of the things I told her was, she lit up the place.

I love her so much.  We had countless fun moments and shared laughs together.   She is a treasure and a joy to know and to have a part of my life.  Her friendship is a gift.  I hope that in our time together, I enriched her life as much as she enriched mine. 

I Love You Jamie.

RIP Sweet Girl, Bless Your Soul.

Sharing one of many smiles.

Showing me Cantaloupe seeds.

Here are some cherished video clips I had kept private, as I do with most of my interactions.  I am sharing them now as I want people who may not have had the good fortune to know who she was, to meet her. 

The previous Curator told me she liked shiny things.  So I brought her all my fancy cocktail rings. ... She LOVED them!  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0k6R8inB-AI

Jamie got an ouchie and showed it to me daily.  One day I had an ouchie and she gave it a kiss!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZL3iyXgftg

I put my footie up to hers, and she kissed it!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9C5x4m9rjQM

The saddest part of Jamie's passing is that she leaves her Sister Twiggy.  In Twiggy's thirty-five years, they have never lived apart.   My heart breaks for her.

Sisters, Jamie and Twiggy ... sweet girls holding hands!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kk548eggKqo

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. @summer ... Thank you for your comment, and caring about Jamie.

      Delete
  2. Very nice tribute about a very special ape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mrs. Sevilla's Class ... Thank you for your comment. I's glad you liked my tribute. I know you loved her too!

      Delete
  3. RIP sweet Jamie. Thank you for the beautiful tribute. She sure was your bestie!!! What a beautiful girl she was. I wished I had gotten to know her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andie ... Thank you for your comment, and words about my tribute. She was very special to me. You would have loved her! Thank you for caring.

      Delete
  4. Love all the exposure Tucker has gotten from his new zoo. He's really become a celebrity!!! I want a t-shirt. I will miss him here in San Francisco but am beyond happy that he's got a wonderful life and hippo family now.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.