Wednesday, March 15, 2023

The Continuing Saga Of The Disgraceful Perimeter Fence

I wrote a blog post in August of 2021, so almost three years ago now.  It detailed my issues with the fence, how the Zoo (read Director Tanya Peterson) probably has no money to use on the fence, both because of no real fundraising and misappropriates funds when they do have them, like building pocket gardens everywhere.  I think the gardens are beautiful, but that is not the issue.  Thousands, and I mean upwards of several thousand dollars are spent on each one.  I've bought garden supplies, my guess would be some of those gardens have cost close to $8,000+  This is an Animal Care Facility and any extra funds should go to Animal Needs before the Directors Wants.  With that in mind, it's not surprise that the perimeter fence is not even a thought.   

At the time of that post I had noted that I my attention to the fence started two years prior, when I started parking farther up Sloat in some new spaces by the old entrance.  In June of 2020, I made a video that captured the condition of the fence in full, as well documented a fence being built around the perimeter of the Botanical Gardens, funded by the Rec and Park.   Since the Zoo falls under the Rec and Park Dept, I contacted the project manager to see if the Zoo would be eligible for a new fence, at least in the area where the fence in crumbling.  The guy asked his Manager and the answer was No, the Zoo needs to take care of it themselves.

The Rec and Parks middle finger to the Zoo is no surprise, as they are negligent in other responsibilities that involve the Zoo.  The Botanical Gardens is managed independently just like the Zoo, yet they got a new fence.  My only guess is because they are actually IN the Park, and the Park always makes sure their internal spaces look good (except for the Bison Meadow, which is only recently being tended to after years of neglect).   The Zoo gets shit because it's at the end of the world.  No one cares.

Anyway, enough backstory synopsis from the previous post.  That post covered other issues, so I have screen-capped my words if anyone wants to read in full.


Here is the link to the video I mentioned above. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lB6-a5o1R-U

From then til now,  I have cursed the fence situation every time I pass by it.  It's shameful that the fence has been left to deteriorate to this point.  It makes the Zoo look downtrodden and like it's in a third world country.  I don't know if this is the original fence and pillars, but it looks like it, and it's definitely been breaking down the whole fifteen years Tanya Peterson has been the Director. 

My first visit of 2023 has the state of the fence even worse with a new issue, and the two following visits in February, leaving the fence is the saddest state yet. 

The new issue is out of control graffiti.  Obviously, the whole city is out of control with bad behavior, but something needs to happen here.  For those who haven't seen it, here is the video I made on January 8, 2023.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jH0-9jA7ee0&feature=share

my pic of just part of the fence

At the end of 2022, I read about a new thing the city was doing.  Instead of previously holding building owners financially responsible for graffiti removal, there was a no cost program.  


When I saw the state of the fence in January, I emailed and sent photos to the Dept of Public Works in regard to this Abatement Program and asked if the Zoo would be eligible.  I got no answer.  I sent another email inquiring about a response.  Still no reply.  When I returned to the Zoo on February 13 and saw even more Graffiti, I called 311 and explained the situation and that I had never received a reply.  I asked if they thought the Zoo would be eligible.  They read through their info and said it seemed they would and they put in a service request, stating it would be cleaned in thirty days.  I asked if they would send DPW a message saying I would like a reply just to confirm the Zoo's eligibility status.  It's March 15th and as of two days ago, the graffiti is still there and I have not received a response to my inquiry.

Again, very poor of the City of San Francisco to not try and help a Zoo that they own, that is on City property, and that carries their name.  Once again, because the Zoo is so far from the geographical area that concerns them, apparently no one seems to care.

Now, for what the Zoo can do.  In my opinion, unless there's some valid reason, it looks like that whole fence line with the old wood and broken concrete pillars can come down.   There is a chain link fence behind it, and there are other points along the perimeter that only have a chain link barrier.  Personally it would have been nice if the Rec and Park had put a second barrier along the whole perimeter of the Zoo, of that nice fencing they put at Botanical Gardens, but I digress to a fantasy.  The chain link fence behind the shambles looks in decent shape.  They could add tarping to the inside of it, and a cinder-block type barrier at the exterior base to prevent dig holes. 

That all said, there also needs to be some attention to the perimeter that is at the side, where the fence turns into the Zoo.   I recently noticed this additional issue that I think happened with all the winds, the sand has accumulated to the point where a mound has formed and it's almost level with the fence.   That is breachable by human and wildlife trespassers.  That part of the fence and the line that extends into the parking lot, needs some inside worn tarping replaced.  And it seems it would be better on inside of fence??

See my video...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nPnvON2Jbj0&feature=share

The Zoo needs to be presentable.  I maintain, attention to this issue could have been taken care of over the years, if Director Tanya Peterson cared or had any management skills at all.  Again I would not want money taken from the Animals Needs for this, but money already has with the Tiki Hut many years ago, and all the gardens since, not to mention other unnecessary crap in-between.  It all comes down to care and proper management, and unfortunately our Zoo lacks both. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your hard work in this matter. The graffiti is making it look like the zoo is falling apart and also that it looks unsafe. This needs to be taken care of without delay. Come on Director, shoe some pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andie - Thank you for your comment and additional perception. I had not thought about how the outside might reflect on the inside, but I think you're right. We know what's inside, but others might not. Director Peterson's lack of care for the Zoo has been shining bright for years as she collects her fat paycheck and turns a blind eye.

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.