Monday, September 4, 2023

More Money Being Spent on Non-Animal Crap

I wrote a sentence in my last blog post, that just flowed out of me.  It wasn't something I had previously thought of, but it is completely where I've been for years. ... 

"I have zero tolerance for what Director Tanya Peterson has done to our Zoo."

There was a day last week when I received information from multiple sources of things going on at the Zoo.  The level of disgraceful bullshit all at once was very upsetting.  After I commiserated about them to another friend, I hung up and realized I had tears in my eyes.  I'm just very sad at the state of our Zoo.

One of the things happening, is another non-Animal installation.  A friend who was there last week sent me this photo.

Apparently, Director Tanya Peterson thinks art installations and gardens are a priority over adding Animals to the collection.  I shouldn't be surprised, her decisions over the years have made it very clear that she has no clue how to manage an Animal Care Facility.  

In recent years we have lost senior Animals, had many Animals transferred out or moved off public view.  Visitors constantly complain there are no Animals.  This is a Zoo, what the hell is she thinking?  What the hell does she think people come to see?  Pay to see?

As I visit the Zoo in my mind, these are the minimum that should be done, before any non-Animal thing is added to the Zoo.

First of all, what the hell is the plan for the pit she allowed to be created for "Madagascar", that has sat there for over five years?  For that project we lost many Monkey species. ... So, let's start with Monkeys.  We need more Monkeys!  ... We need a better habitat for the Orangutans. ... We need a new aviary for Hercules the Hornbill to be back on view. ... We need the netting over Flamingos completed. ... We need proper netting over Meerkats and Prairie Dogs. ... We need Kangaroos in the Walkabout. The back barrier in Walkabout that borders Sloat has needed a permanent fence for over seven years. ... We need Southgate renovated and housing a few Hoofstock species. ... We need appropriate housing for both Sloths. ... The list is probably endless if you consider things the Animal Care Staff would like for the Animals they care for.  

And what about fixing the damn perimeter fence that has been in shambles for decades so the Zoo looks inviting and not downtrodden?


And if we're going for non-Animal related stuff, in addition to the fence, what about installing some outdoor lighting throughout the Zoo in case there's ever an emergency at night?  What a concept!

What we don't need is more gardens and art installations.  I don't know if this new art installation is being paid for with Zoo funds or is being funded by a donor with locked funds, but either way, these things should not be happening before necessary Animal related projects.  Allegedly this project is costing six figures.  That is outrageous.  

Director Peterson cried poor that there was no money to net over two grottos for the Orangutans, which would have made that habitat renovation optimum for them, and not have to include the eyesore metal bridge.  Yet there continues to be funds for gardens that cost ten's of thousands of dollars.  

Let's talk about those gardens.  A new one has been in progress along the path from gate house the carousel.  Dont get me wrong, the gardens are beautiful, but unnecessary when the Zoo needs stuff related to being a Zoo aka an Animal Care Facility.  Allegedly many of the gardens are funded by locked donations.  I've written about this years ago, as I found it disturbing that Donors will donate money specifically for non-Animal projects like gardens, art installations, and even trips for the Director, but not to actual Animal needs and necessary enclosure builds.  This is a Zoo, what are the Zoological Society Members who donate to non-Animal related stuff thinking??  The Society is the managing entity of the Zoo and this happens?  They don't even live up to their responsibility of over seeing the Director's management, prefering to just defer to and support whatever she does.  It's all morally disgraceful.  I don't understand the whole management structure (including the lack of management responsibility from the SF Rec and Park Dept) and how it's gotten away with allowing the downfall of our Zoo.  

Shame on all of them.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.