Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Meeting Lulu! And Other Visit Updates

Yesterday was my first Zoo visit in over two months.  I've had the Sciatica for seven weeks and finally felt I could hobble around a bit slowly.  I had a list of new things to check out, so my visit was concentrated on that.

The most important thing was to meet Lulu, the female Lion who moved here a couple months ago from Lee Richardson Zoo. I had been waiting months for our Jasiri to get a companion, and was bummed not to see her when she first had access outside.  So I'm happy to have caught her out!  Reportedly she is out mornings, then Jasiri rotates out.

Before even seeing her face, I saw her from the back and thought wow, she's huge!  Maybe because in recent years our two beloved females were aging and body mass shifted?  I don't know, but she seems like a biggin' and is beautiful! Not long after I arrived, she came to the viewing window.  She was very interested in the kids.  She started doing the running action on the glass.  I have only seen this with Jahari (Jasiri's father) and Kimani (Jasiri's aunt, now at Idaho Falls Zoo) in the past, and not in years.  

https://youtube.com/shorts/WK56IW_sYis?si=ZN0Oe_zv20pGIt8p

https://youtube.com/shorts/kCAakaQ6TRU?si=-qfUrCCzQORJa0Ps

She did not have a face to face viewing area where she came from, which was her birth Zoo, so this is completely new for her.  She definitely has alot of energy!  I'm looking forward to lots of great play action when she and Jasiri are finally introduced and together on view.

Of note at Cats, there were metal barriers at the main doors to the Lions House.  I inquired and was told that the LH has been open on occasion.  Very happy to hear that.  I had been hoping at some point in the future that would happen, because it's a shame that no one gets to experience the inside of that historic building.  Even a monitored hour a day would be good.

Another Cat update, Tica the female Ocelot reportedly remains elusive.  I have still never seen her.  I was told she came from places where she was allegedly not on public view, and possibly never had outdoor access.  If even one is accurate information, it makes sense that adjusting will take time.

Also a no show on view was the new Fox, who is in the old Patas Monkey exhibit, most recently occupied by the Eagle.  I heard he has not yet been seen in the enclosure.  He has access but there are lots of hiding areas.  I have not confirmed identity, but he came from Sacramento Zoo and seems to have been their only one, so he may be Lando, seen here in a video on SacZoo social media.  If this is him, he was an Ambassador Animal and from this video it seems like maybe has never been on public view in an enclosure.  

video screencap

https://m.facebook.com/video.php/?video_id=275574810375643

I will happy to see him when he presents himself.  I love Foxes and the only ones I've seen, hijaked my walk at the Botanical Gardens many years ago and freaked me out, causing me to run from them like Barnaby Jones lol!  It has been a fantasy idea that the Zoo would rescue a small group from the Fur Farm industry.   So seeing him will be nice.  It's noted in the video that he came from a rescue situation as a young kit.  Always wonderful to see homes provided for Wildlife in need.

I also checked out the part of the Madagascar exhibit that is now open.  Violet, the female Fossa did not show herself.  My impression of the enclosure for the Fossa is on track with what I thought it would be.  Too small!  More on my opinions and photos in the next post.  Might be a few days, so check back.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.