Thursday, September 13, 2018

Is Ndume Gorilla In A Tug Of War Between The Cincinnati Zoo and The Gorilla Foundation?

Darn, I didn't see having to write another blog post about Ndume's situation, until his new journey began, and certainly not right now when I'm trying to work on some other things, but this new development has got to be documented.  

Well my original post (7.14.18) entitled, Will Ndume (Gorilla) Become The Gorilla Foundation's New Cash Cow? , unfortunately seems to be accurate.  ... You can read that post here:

On August 29, The Cincinnati Zoo posted a press release to their Facebook that stated, Ndume would be moving back there, from The Gorilla Foundation.  Born at the Cincinnati Zoo, Ndume has been living in isolation at TGF for 27 years. 

Screencap Cincinnati Zoo FB

On September 3, The Gorilla SSP posted a link to their Facebook of a News article about the move.  This long overdue move has made it to many national news outlets.

Screencap Gorilla SSP FB

The Gorilla Foundation has curiously remained silent.   Those who have been close to TGF in the past have suspected something was brewing over there.  

I emailed both Ron Evans, Cincinnati Zoo Curator of Primates and Kristen Lukas, Gorilla SSP Coordinator for updates and got no reply from either. 

Last week I sent Cincinnati Zoo a message via Facebook.  I asked if a date had been set for when Ndume would be moving to the Zoo from The Gorilla Foundation.  ... "No date had been set." ... I asked what the plans were for housing him since they already had two Groups with adult males.  ... "Details have not been decided."  ... Huh.  Seems like no plan is not indicative of any immediate move.

I messaged the Gorilla SSP after.  They had recommended to CinciZoo an asap move, so I asked if a date had been set, noting that CinciZoo had no plans for housing even.  ...  The FB person said they were not privvy to that information, but stated, "I’m assuming that at the upcoming gorilla workshop, if plans aren’t already in the works, it’ll be heavily discussed."

Yesterday I read there was a post mail letter sent from the Gorilla Foundation, received by some individuals, last week.  The #TeamNdume Facebook page asked if anyone had received one.  This was posted by a page visitor. 



Screencaps from #TeamNdume FB

The goal of this letter from TGF Founder Penny Patterson, is clear.  The Gorilla Foundation is at this moment in time, soliciting donations for three projects, one being the acquisition of additional Gorillas to create a Family for Ndume. 

Personally I think this is Outrageous.  Aside from the Ndume money grab, which may even be fraudulent if he indeed is going back to Cincinnati Zoo,  none of the other things are relevant or legitimate at this moment in time.  Penny and her gang have had 46 years to get to Maui and all this other stuff.  It seems like a last ditch effort to continuing funding a certain lifestyle on the sympathy of those who loved Koko and for some reason still believe in the fantasy.  

So, all things considered, this latest has myself and many others wondering, what the hell is going on?  Is Ndume staying or moving?

The only two conclusions at this point are, He is staying at The Gorilla Foundation and the Cincinnati Zoo and the Gorilla SSP are making up this whole move to appease this public outrage that he is still living at TGF in isolation, Or he really is moving and Penny and the gang at TGF are delusional and in denial, and therefore soliciting donations fraudulently.

I made a call to The Gorilla Foundation today.  I spoke with Sofia.  

Me: I have a question about the letter that was sent out last week, asking for donations to get more Gorillas to make a Family for Ndume.  
Sofia: Yes that is our goal (or what we'd like to do, something like that.
Me: Well, it was announced that he was going back to the Cinncinnati Zoo, so I'm confused.
Sofia: We are working with them.
Me: Working with them in what way?  Is he staying or going?  
Sofia: We are working with them.
Me: Yes, but in the letter you are asking for donations, based on him staying, if he isn't then what are the donations for? 
Sofia: I can't comment any further.  You can call back and dial ext 14. 
I asked for her name, the name of who was at ex 14, and said Thank you.  

Joy at ext 14, is reachable at the same number by dialing an extension.  So essentially, when I called back Sofia wouldn't answer and I'd get the option to choose the extension (that is for press inquiries), which I did and of course I got voicemail.  I say of course because I imagine Joy had been told I'm calling back and what my question was. ...  I left a message and am currently waiting for a call back.  If I get a call back I will post what the outcome was.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.