Friday, September 21, 2018

Ducks Continue to Fly into Windows Without Decals and Zoo Knows It!

So yeah.  While I'm trying to work on the post about the Madagascar project that I've been mentioning, two other issues came up.  Just can't seem to get ahead, there's unfortunately always something.  ... Here's the first one.

While visiting the Flamingos early in the week, I experienced the unfortunate sight of one of the wild Mallards flying out of the pond and hitting the window.  Crashing and then falling backward into the water.  Horrifying, as that could have gone very badly.  Sad, because its easy to prevent. 

These incidents, not only with Waterfowl but with all Birds, is so common that there are many companies that make Decals for windows to help prevent these actions, and what could be severe injury or death to Birds. 

These Decals are on the windows at Mandrills and Gorillas. Why aren't they on the windows at Flamingos, where there is a constant flight stream in and out of wild Ducks?

This was the first time I had seen this, but someone I was standing with has sadly seen it many times.  Before today, the last time a few days before.  That Duck was flying into the exhibit and hit the glass so hard, it fell to the ground and was so stunned it couldn't move.  She picked it up and brought it to the side, so it could recover and get back to the pond.  She also told me about another time, one hit the glass so hard it vomited all over.  This is a serious issue, and I ask again, Why don't these windows have the Decals?

Well, I don't have an answer, but I certainly have a some opinions about this.  First, this same person, a Friend of the Flamingos has told many Staffers of these incidents, noting the need for the Decals.  She's been telling people since she first saw this horror.  Its been since the glass was installed there and that's been well over a year!  Understandably this person, a Zoo Member was very upset and angry that this problem has been ignored. 


Photo of window just after the Duck hit it.  The bottom circle is of the water dripping from where it hit.  The top circle shows a smear of something from a hit the week before.

I feel guilty that I didn't spot this Fail before seeing this crash.  That said, the Zoo has many Animal Professionals pulling in full-time paychecks, someone should have known to do this.  That said, either no one did?!  , which is hard to believe, and if that is the case then there's a bigger problem with the education of those Professionals.  Then there's the Or, that no one cares.  Regardless, Staffers were notified and still nothing.  Why?  Are they waiting for a Duck to break its neck when it flies into the window?  I sure don't want that to happen, and I sure don't want to see that.  Do they want that to happen?  Do they want that to happen in front of some kids?  That would really further their Mission of Connecting people with wildlife.

Good Grief San Francisco Zoo, buy some damn Decals and fix this situation!  If you didn't hate me so much I'd buy the Decals if that's what it took to prevent Animals from injuring or killing themselves. 

I'll make it easy for you.  I'm sure I saw them recently at Sloat Garden Center, across the street.  They also got them in a 4-pk at Home Depot.  


When I left I filled out a comment form. Directed it to Jason Waters, Wellness and Joe Fitting , Deputy Director. These are available upon request in the Membership Office. If you have an issue, comment or anything else, please stop in on your way out and use one!  So, Myself, this Member, and a Docent who was also there, have all alerted the Zoo to this.  Let's see how long it takes to get Decals on the Windows.  


...

Ok so while on this, I'm just going to go ahead and include some personal opinions about the Flamingo exhibit, that I don't think I ever posted about. 

After seeing an endless stream of people hang over into the exhibit before the renovation and someone throw something at one of the Flamingos while they were sitting on a nest, I was happy to see a better barrier go up.  When it went up, I commented that I thought it was a bit obtrusive, but if it keeps them safe,... The Staffer I was talking to said, it wasn't to protect the Birds (silly me!) but to keep them from flying out.  

For some reason it was decided that the Juvenile Flamingos from the last couple of allowed breeding seasons, would not get their wings clipped.  One flew out and landed at Gorillas.  Thankfully after the Gorillas were in for the day.  I think there may have even been another one that flew out before the renovation.

When the renovation was done, the pole that would hold the aviary style netting was bare.  When the netting eventually did go up, it was only over a quarter of the area and with the way the light hit, almost invisible.  I almost didn't even notice it.  One Juvenile attempted to fly out and didn't see the net and flew into it, allegedly falling to the ground.  When I heard this, I noted how the net was hard to see, and suggested they put something over the top, a tarp or such, so that its visible to the Birds and they know its there.  Was told that was a good idea, but it may fly up, ripple in the wind, whatever excuse.  I made suggestion how to keep it down.  That never happened so I guess it was too hard to figure out.  Letting Birds fly into things seems to be the way they'd rather go.  Allegedly two of the other Juveniles decided to leave and land on the Restroom Building behind the exhibit.  Not long ago another quarter of the netting was put up, yet not over the area they were escaping through?  Its curious that the whole thing isn't netted, just to avoid any instances.  And wasn't that the goal?  

 My finger pointing to the part that is not netted.
FYI The window Ducks are flying into
is below that, under the overhang.
You can see how hard it is to tell which side is netted,
if you were a Flamingo looking up at it.

As well, the path the Ducks are taking is threw a small opening on the netted side, by the window,  so they are missing the opening.  If it was completely netted on top they would find a different way in or not have access.  They do like the Flamingo pond but it might save a life and they have the Lemur stream that they love and can hang out at.  

Additionally, the Flamingos allegedly aren't being allowed to breed this season, which would be in full swing for hatching right now.  Rumor has it, there's a concern for future Chicks safety, considering what has happened in the recent past.  Sad.  Why don't they just net the whole area?  Problem solved. 

And even further ridiculousness, I think they eventually clipped all the wings.  So, the whole exhibit build, all this drama and injury for nothing. 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.