Sunday, September 30, 2018

Squirrel Monkeys That Haven't Been Outside in Two Years! ... Updated 10.23.18 - Info Error

For those who read my last post, Ducks Continue to Fly into Windows Without Decals and Zoo Knows It! and may have been waiting for the second Zoo issue from that week, I apologize for not getting to it right away as planned.  Had bad sinus pressure for over a week and just didn't feel like dealing with upsetting stuff.  ... I will give a bit of an update here.  As of last week, there are still no Life Saving Decals up at Flamingos.  But, hey, I did notice some fall decals on the windows inside the Lion House, you know where lots of Birds are flying into windows.  Shameful.

As noted, the week starting 9.17.18 brought two Animal Care issues to my attention.  One being the care and concern for the wild Beings (Ducks) that live at the Zoo and this one regarding Beings in the Zoo's collection and care. 

So, deep breath, here goes.  ... That week, while visiting the Sifaka, a friend (and Zoo Member) and I were watching the male Max jump to and grab onto the mesh of an upper window.  My friend noticed movement inside, which is part of the night quarter building, in a space that is above what is used for the Sifaka.   This building is part of the Primate Discovery Center, which is two stories tall.  I had never noticed or have known this to be an area that housed Animals. 


I quickly snapped this photo and then turned on the video to be able to zoom in clearer to identify what was in there.


We could see that there were small Primates scurrying about, but couldn't identify.  My first  thought was they were newly acquired Lemurs for the Madagascar project, as I wouldn't put it past the Zoo to bring in Animals there was no appropriate place for.  I later asked and was shocked to find out they were four of the Squirrel Monkeys, from the current collection.  Even more shocked and sickened to hear that they have been in there allegedly for at least two years!

There is so much wrong with this, but let's just start with the fact that these Beings have been living in a concrete room with no natural landscaping and most important, they have not been outdoors for years!  Sadly they can see the Sifaka enjoying a spacious OUTDOOR area.  Shameful. 

So, the obvious question is Why have these Beings been subjected to this kind of containment?  The other obvious question is, Who made this decision?  Who thinks this is ok?  I would bet no one on the Animal Care Staff think this is a good thing.  So that leaves Management level staff.  I'm going to bypass finger pointing at the Primate Curators and go straight to the question, Why does the San Francisco Zoo have a Wellness Department?  Is it not the purpose of this department to make sure that every Being in the collection is housed in an appropriate habitat,  appropriate to their well-being? 

In my opinion, there are three people on full-time payroll that should be making sure that among so many other things, this and other inappropriate housing are never more than temporary.  Those people are Jason Waters VP of Wellness and Animal Behavior, Animal Curator David Bocian, and (*Please see my update at end of post. I had an additional name here that was in error.) Additionally, the buck usually stops with Director Tanya Peterson.  So who's fault is it that these Animals and others get stuck in inappropriate housing?  One would have to assume either someone isn't doing their job, which in my opinion is to be on the Animals side, or they just don't care, or they afraid to put forth a plea for the Animals that might get challenged and threaten their job security?  Regardless, this is not right.  

Let's not forget the recent living situation of the Fossa. They have been moved to the Feline Conservation Center (FCC), but had lived in inappropriate housing for over two years as well.   You can view where their home was for over a year.  The other near year they spent living in quarantine.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5OaWnXoaQ&feature=youtu.be

At this point, noting that the FCC is an option for housing over-flow Residents, is moot.  The FCC is over crowded now with many different species, with those displaced by the Madagascar project on the way.  But, at the time, two years ago, it wasn't and both these Squirrel Monkeys and the Fossa could have been housed there immediately without ever being subjected to the containment areas there were.

Let's take a look at the history of the Squirrel Monkeys.  This group came to the Zoo from Stanford in 2010 as a retirement home.  These Beings were former research test subjects.  These Beings should never have been locked inside again.  This was supposed to be their retirement from that environment.

Over the years, the group has dwindled, sadly many passing from age related issues.  Every now and then, it seems there are less on view, and I've asked about them.  I've been told some are off exhibit.  My bad, not to ask where.  I never would have thought that meant an area where they had no access to the outdoors.  

Going back again to when the Squirrel Monkeys first arrived.  I remember their place in the Primate Center was supposed to be temporary, with a designated donation to build a new home for them elsewhere in the Zoo.  So many years ago but I my memory is right.  You can read the June 2010 news article from about this here:  http://www.sfexaminer.com/zoo-saves-monkeys-from-euthanasia/

I want to notate a couple quotes from that article:

"When MacDonald (former Primate Curator) feels they are ready to revel in trees and dirt, the monkeys will temporarily live in the Primate Discovery Center."

"In the meantime, the zoo will use a $250,000 donation specifically for the monkeys to extend an outdoor exhibit at the new South American Tropical Rain Forest Aviary that’s still under construction."

Additionally, in November 2010, I attended a Reception for Guardian Members.  Director Peterson displayed an artist rendering of the proposed new Squirrel Monkey exhibit.  This photo depiction became the future project and was made into a banner and put out at the project site adjacent to the Tropical Building.


I was horrified on the spot to see the drawing for the new Squirrel Monkey exhibit shows, not only another play area for humans, but white tree structures?!  Where in nature are there white trees? I think even the Director felt the need to sell this odd habitat, as she repeatedly said,  "Think modern. Think modern." Why should we think modern? This isn't a museum, this is an Animal Park and Animals don't live surrounded by white plastic looking tree's.

Construction never happened for this.  The sign was taken down.  The area went through a couple stages, at one point housing the Dinosaur sculptures, and more recently the ridiculous Ropes course, something that was never used in that area after time and money spent to develop the area.  Not to mention money spent when the Zoo purchased this crap.  Seriously, we have a three million dollar playground, the Zoo should not be spending money on this, especially when for one thing there is allegedly a shortage of funds for Animal Enrichment.  

So, with the money locked specifically for a new Squirrel Monkey home, and the proposed location touting the future home designated, I ask, What happened to that project, and even more curious, Where is that money?

Update 10.23.18 ... I had originally included Ashleigh Lutz-Nelson as I was told by a couple staff members that she had been given a new title and was the Asst (General Curator). That information was wrong, she still holds the title Asst Carnivore Curator.  Squirrel Monkeys fall under Primates and Ashleigh has no connection to what goes on in that Dept. Additionally as I stated in original post body I do not put responsibility for these types of issues on Animal Staff including Department level Curators.  I do believe that Upper level Management - Animal Care Staff  like Bocian and Waters who I noted are responsible for championing these issue points to the Zoo Director on their behalf.

I don't like that I got misinformation.  Contrary to what people think I do try to confirm information and have never been told anything I have posted is in error.  Of course there have been differences of opinion or as I have been told misinterpretation of situations. Actually this has only happened once.  The Carnivore Dept stands by the act of letting people handle and visit behind the scenes with the Snow Leopard Cubs. I stand by my opinion stated in a couple posts that I think this is wrong.

I will also again note that if anyone has an issue with the subject, information, or my interpretation in any post there is a comment portion to this blog.  I moderate the comments so it can also be used to contact me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Previous post: Ducks Continue to Fly into Windows Without Decals and Zoo Knows It! http://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/ducks-continue-to-fly-into-windows_21.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:








No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.