Sunday, November 24, 2019

Chimpanzees Full Integration Complete! - We Are Seven Now!

My Crusade for My Chimpers has come to fruition!

Every weekend after not being at the Zoo for three or four days, by Sunday night I'm missing my Chimpers!  Monday (11.18.19) morning as I headed to Chimps, I could hear screaming from their area.  When I got over there, someone I knew was already there and pointed out the barrier showing the area closed off. ... After two months, it was finally the day, all seven were together!

For those not following along, this year our three longterm resident Chimps got new friends.  In February, Maggie, Minnie and Cobby met Qadeer.  In late August the four met Nick, and two weeks later Nick's ladyfriends Twiggy and Jamie arrived.  With the integration of three new Chimps, two separate groups were formed by gender.  The two groups were separated by distance, before they were able to meet at the mesh.  They were separated for two months, and Monday was the first day the mesh barrier was opened.  

I couldn't see anything, so I walked around the Zoo.  You could hear hootin' and hollerin' from every point.  Loud, then calm, then loud again, then calm again.  This went on the couple hours I was there.  Hard not to want to know the play by play of what was happening!

I figured the area would be closed for the three days of the week I would be there, if not all week.  I didn't expect to see them at all.  I had been lucky to see the first time Cobby and Qadeer had access to eachother.  The path window was available for viewing.  It was a great experience, but I tried to stand to the side of the window, as I didn't want to interfere with what the boys had going on.  Chimps can be volitale and their attention and energy can turn in a split second.  So with the introduction of seven individuals, I always assumed in order to prevent outside distractions, the area would be closed.  

On Tuesday after visiting Sifaka, I was heading to Cats, and a large clump of black caught my eye through the trees behind South Grotto.  I zoomed into the Chimp Yard and at the top of the steps that are visible from there, I saw four Chimps, and then five!  It was the first time ever seeing five Chimps together!  I first zeroed in on Minnie and Cobby sitting close together.  This was everything!  The tears started flowing!  I had worried about them everyday of the separation.  They had never been separated in their fifty years together.  Beyond happy their reunion was finally happening!  Maggie and (surprise) Nick! were having a kissie love-fest!  Qadeer then joined the group.  ... Jamie and Twiggy were on the ground level, out of my sight.  Although, I later spied Twiggy and Qadeer not just having a love-fest, but making one!  That was new.  I had never seen our three mating.
Cobby and Minnie
Screencap from video 

I have a ton of clips to upload.  No time or energy, but I uploaded two that day since the specialness of this was time sentsitive.

Five Chimps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZP2dBpeOV4

Maggie and Nick Playing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y9IcPWiNwI   

Its been a long journey, five years, from the time I heard our precious Cobby, Maggie, and Minnie were being kicked out of their home by Director Peterson, to my crusade to save them, to the lengthy construction on their new home, to this, meeting new friends and coming together as a group. I'm beyond happy to see this come to fruition, and that Cobby, Maggie and Minnie are here to experience all the enriching new things and friends in their lives.  I'm sad that Tallulah didn't get to experience this, but I know she is right there with them. Miss You Lady!  This is victory is for you too!
My Miss T
Tallulah
                                                                                               
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZP2dBpeOV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y9IcPWiNwI

2 comments:

  1. The photo of Cobby and Minnie brought tears to my eyes. *also Miss T. I know her spirit is watching over her chimp friends and is happy for them. Thank you for all you have done for the precious chimps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie- Thank you for your comment and support. And for loving the Chimps! Seeing Cobby and Minnie reunited is something I have been waiting for. Many tears shed and still shed at these two precious seniors.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.