Saturday, November 23, 2019

Orangutan Watches Chimp Birthday. How Long Will This Go On? Update Week Thirteen 11.11.19

I wrote this last weekend, and looks like it never left draft.  I had planned to post it Monday after my visit, but forgot.  Forgot it was done and ready to go.   There was big excitement at the Zoo that day, so my mind was on that.  Apologies for being so behind.  ... Will write about the exciting news soon!

*~*~*~*~* ....

In the previous post I noted how upset writing these posts makes me.  I truly do not want to do this anymore.  Unfortunately, I have to push myself to continue, because our Zoo Director continues to put our Zoo Animals in bad situations.  This situation with Orangutans is not new.  The Zoo under Director Peterson's reign has acquired other Animals that they have no place for,  has let animals languish in inappropriate or outdated enclosures, and has prioritized new Animals before attending to current residents. As long as this awfulness continues, I will continue.  I won't let the Animals down.  I may not be able to help fix their situations, but I can document these Management Fails.  I will not allow these situations to be covered-up and an illusion that everything is wonderful for all the Animals at the San Francisco Zoo.  

So, week Thirteen has come and gone, and the Orangutans continue to just sit there in their caged tube, watching the Chimpanzees.  This week Amoi watched as Chimpanzee Jamie and her Friends celebrated her Birthday.  It really is heartbreaking to watch them watching others roaming free without immediate confines.
Screencap from video

Stay tuned to my YouTube for footage from Jamie's Birthday Celebration!

Orangutan Ollie turned Ten in September.  He did get an Ice Cake in the trail.  From what I could tell, he had a Birthday Party every year previous in his former home at Erie Zoo.  No place here for a full party that both he and Amoi could enjoy.  Amoi's Birthday will be in May, six months from now.
Director Peterson, I ask you, Will the Orangutans have a yard by then, so she can have a party?

Tomorrow starts Week Fourteen, since the Orangutans have had no place except the trails.  After Seven Weeks locked inside, the Chimps regained use of their yard on August 19th.  So, Tuesday will be the three month mark.

My first blog posts after finding out the Orangutans were coming, concentrated on where they would live.  It seemed apparent they might be for the lack of better wording, just tossed in Triple Grotto as is.  While it was a legitimate curiosity, the real curiosity was, how could this even be a serious option?  The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), had refused to send new Chimpanzees to SF, to live in Triple Grotto, which had no upgrade since the early 80s, and was considered inappropriate to house Chimpanzees.  The Zoo had to provide a new updated area for them, which has become the Dayroom (opened Nov 2018) and the Yard (opened May 2019).  So, how could it be possible they would send Orangutans to live in Triple Grotto as is?  

At some point the notion, and illusion that the Orangutans would rotate with the Chimpanzees in the new Dayroom and Yard, is now obvious.  That said, this past week I have seriously began to wonder, if my original assessment of the situation was not accurate.  With no movement to date, to renovate Triple Grotto in the six months since the Yard was completed, Was Triple Grotto the initial intended home of the Orangutans?

Related posts
2.16.19  https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2019/02/orangutans-on-their-way.html
3.29.19 https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2019/03/orangutans-where-will-they-go.html
4.7.19  https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2019/04/orangutan-update-is-female-already-here.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.