Saturday, November 23, 2019

Gorilla Go-Round - SFZoo Acquires New Female, Hasani Moves to LA Zoo

Again another post I started weeks ago.  I think I was waiting to upload some files to share.  Still haven't gotten to them.  So moving on with posting.

*~*~*~*~* ...

Quick notation since I've been concentrating on our Apes. ... There are some changes within our Troop. 

Ten Year Old Hasani, born at SFZoo December 8, 2008, has left to his new home at the Los Angeles Zoo.  In LA he will live in a Bachelor Group. This is a common step before going on in the future to a Zoo where adult male Gorilla's can head their own Troop and start a Family.  That's still many years away for our Hasani.  Hopefully he will enjoy his new home and new "brothers"! 

Hasani left the week of November 4.  The day before he left, I was lucky to spend about an hour visiting him having a entertaining time by himself.  One of the best times I've spent watching him.  Glad to have had it.

This is one of the photos from that day.  Follow my YouTube at leo811sf to see the video when I get it up.  I got great footage.  Wonderful anytime, but super special since its my last.

Wanted to share my first photos, to go with above, my last.  I have a few from before he made public debut. Keepers would carry him out to get some Vitamin D!  Can't find those right now.  This is one of my earliest photos on exhibit.  Hasani and Bawang.

Got to admit, I felt bad.  I know how transfers work, so this is not meant to judge, but it does make me sad, that there is no way they can know, when one day, they are taken from their home and end up in a new one. 

A few days after Hasani left, the Franklin Park Zoo broke the news that their Female Gorilla Kimani would be moving to SFZoo.  San Francisco Zoo has yet to make an announcement. ... Some Zoos give notice to their Visitor Community when an Animal is moving.  That has never happened at SFZoo. Something was different this time, and in Hasani's case an announcement was made.  I'm sure all of Hasani's fans who didn't know, appreciated the notice so they could visit him before he left.

Meet our new Lady.  
Fourteen Year Old Kimani!
Screencap from FPZ

Press Release from Franklin Park Zoo

SFZoo has been rumored to be getting a new female for several years. One who might be able to raise her own offspring as an example to the other females, now only breeding female is Monifa, in hopes she too would be successful the next time.  The last two births in SF, Mom's did not raise their babies.  In 2008 Monifa gave birth to Hasani.  In 2013 Nneka gave birth to Kabibe.  Both first-time Mom's, neither had experience of even being around a birth.  Nneka's Mom Bawang was surrogate to both.  

I look forward to meeting this lady and to a new generation of Gorillas sometime soon.  I am not looking forward to our Zoo Director most likely changing her name. No new Animals in San Francisco get to keep their names. Not even Great Apes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.