Saturday, November 2, 2019

Orangutan Update - Week Ten - 10.21.19 - Amoi Wishes She Had Halloween Festivities Like the Chimps. Sad.

Week Ten
Ollie and Amoi making the best of it.

Hope everyone had a great Halloween!  I didn't get to posting this Orangutan Update last weekend, as I went to the Zoo's Boo Event.  This event is one of the only times I go to the Zoo on the weekend.  Its the Event I have loved since it started.  Its the Event that got me interested in Enrichment.  I have an obsession with Pumpkins, so paired with Animals, it bring much joy.  Unfortunately Sunday's Pumpkin festivities were for the most part cancelled because of downed tree and debris from the high winds.  I was looking forward to seeing Gorillas, but because of some exhibit damage.  I did hear they got Pumpkins, near the end of the day, but not for public viewing.  If so, Zoo Staff probably got photos, but I haven't seen them on any of their Social Media platforms.  I would have liked the Zoo to have kept the schedule and done it the next day or even on Halloween, so the public could watch.  Saturday we were blessed with wonderful Zoo Friend moments, including being in the right place at the right time, to celebrate Angelo the Anteater's 21st Birthday!  Have not gotten to videos from that weekend yet, so keep an eye out on my Youtube for that cuteness!  As well, this past week brought more cuteness, with a Birthday celebration for Slider the Cow, who turned 10 on Halloween!  Photos in real time on my Twitter (leo811sf).


The Chimps had a spectacular spread for Halloween!  The Girls outside in the yard, the Boys inside the dayroom.  The fun time for the Chimps, was not fun for the Orangutans.  Sadly I had to witness poor Amoi looking into the yard and seeing the Chimpanzees Halloween festivities.  It was heartbreaking.

I wanted to publish the video that day, but decided to wait til after the weekend, and forgot to make it public. ... See the video here:

If the Orangutans had an out door space other than the trails, they too could have had an awesome holiday celebration.

So, again we must all ask San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson,...

WHEN will the Orangutans get a yard?  

Director Peterson, How long do you plan to keep the Orangutans living in a caged tube?  ... The trails are meant to be access platforms, NOT Habitats!

Weeks ago, I wrote the suggestion, that a temporary yard be constructed for them in the South Grotto portion of Triple Grotto.  This is based on the fact that something immediate needs to be done, and that South Grotto can be used in the future to house or hold another species.  At this point, doing that is the only logical thing to do.  Any work to construct a permanent yard to compliment the new yard and dayroom and finish the Great Ape Passage, will take too long.  The Orangutans NEED an outdoor area done in the shortest amount of time, and a temporary yard is the only solution.  I suspect the Zoo would hate to take any of my suggestions, so close to me putting them out there (they have in the past but wait, so they can make them their own), but this situation is getting to the point of cruelty.  I have to assume since nothing has been done, it the Zoo's preference to not consider the suggestion in this case and instead keep the Orangutans in an inappropriate living situation, rather than do what's right and necessary.  

What I suggested could have been completed by now and the Orangutans in a space that would allow them to stretch their arms and be able to climb, which by the way is a specified guideline in the AZA Orangutan Husbandry Manual.  

Director Peterson, Give those Orangutans a yard and get them out of the trails!!!  Call the damn netting company and get South Grotto constructed into a temporary yard for them!  We are going on three months of this and its cruel!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

1 comment:

  1. Posting this for a reader who had a problem with commenting. ... Comment by Anonymous - I think all animals should be treated equal. I know Amoi from the Henry Doorly Zoo. I would visit her when I got out of work and spend time there for almost a hour or two she sat right next to me and didn’t leave me side there were times she didn’t want me to leave. I even had a special tap on the glass of the exhibit to let her know when I was there she come right down I have never gotten attached to a zoo animal especially orangutans after meeting amoi I gotten more interested in orangutans one of her brothers is starting to come up to me when I visit. I would like to visit my best friend sometime soon if there is any way the sfzoo can make it so she can see the public in an outdoor or indoor exhibit I would love that so I can see my best friend again. I want her to be happy and the other orangutans. Please and thank you

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.