Wednesday, December 18, 2019

OMG! There Was Christmas Joy for Ollie and Amoi! - Orangutan Update!

I tried to post this last night, to be timely with this exciting news, but again I didn't get that far.  

Yesterday, the Universe positioned me in the right place at the right time and I was blessed to witness a wonderful milestone in what is, the Orangutan Situation. 

After visiting Chimps in the dayroom, I was heading to Gorillas and saw Oillie and Amoi sitting side by side.  I dashed over to capture the moment and while I had my camera aimed at them, I heard something. Ollie looked startled, and Amoi moved forward, THEN I noticed the door to the yard opening!  OMG!  Yes, the Orangutans were going in the yard!  

Amoi went right in, but Ollie was a bit freaked out I think.  If you've been following along, Amoi had access to the yard for seven weeks at the start of Summer, Ollie has never had access.  So for him, it was like, WTH is going on?  You mean I get to go to that place I've watch Chimps for the last eight months?!  Yes Ollie you do!

It was amazing and such a joy to see them out of the caged tube!  Especially Ollie who could finally, stretch and climb!  He climbed to the very top, and stood on the Pachyderm Building, where he could see the Ocean!  So happy for him!

Here's some cell pix from my camera screen.





While I did concentrate on documenting all Ollie's firsts, as I did the first time Amoi went into the yard, seeing them together in there was a beautiful thing.  He followed her all around and I got some sweet moments of them together, especially on video!  she showed him how to eat the Rose bushes and Banana tree leaves!

They had a great time and were so happy!  You could literally see smiles on both their faces!  Look on several of Ollie's and this one of Amoi.  Smiles!

I Love these two, I'm so happy for them!  I'm happy for me too, I needed a break from crying about their situation.

It might take awhile for me to review and piece together all clips, but I also got great cell videos,  including the moment Ollie braved it and went through the door!  View all five on my YouTube channel.  
I'm so lucky to have seen this, and hope they get access at least a few times a week, even if it's just half the day.  While this is great and much needed, we must remember, this is not a solution to the serious situation, it's a bandaid.  There still needs to be a third space created at Triple Grotto to complete the Great Ape Passage.  It is the only way two species can feasibly exist at optimum well-being.  

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.