Sunday, December 8, 2019

More SFZoo Social Media Irritations As Orangutans Languish In a Caged Tube

Again, just like the Thanksgiving Newsletter that I found offensive, my issue with these things is not meant to be bitchy, but come on, the situation with the Orangutans is serious and the Zoo doesn't even seem to care.  They aren't even trying to provide a proper home for them.  It's Sick!

This past Tuesday was the internet wide charitable effort called Giving Tuesday.  The Zoo sent out an edition of their email Newsletter. ... 
Screencap of email lead in

                                           
Screencap of Newsletter

I saw this during the day while I was out, and by the time I got home in the evening, a friend who is also a Member had messaged me with her displeasure about the continued slight to the needs of the Orangutans.

And then, a second appeal the same day (and one previous)!
                                                        Screencap from sfzoo Twitter

It is curious that they are asking for donations for this project, as it has already begun construction.  Was it started before securing full funding?   What if they don't raise what's needed, does the area just sit there torn up and closed off indefinitely?

The Snow Leopard Expansion is one of the projects that is like most, a head-scratcher as far as where it came in on the list of priorities.  In my opinion, knowing that space would have to one day possibly house multiple full size Cats (Mama and offspring), if expanding it was on the agenda, it should have been done before receiving a new breeding pair.   I had been told that Snow Leopards live with their Mama for 2-3 years.  Curiously, our Mama decided she was "done" shortly after the Cubs first Birthday.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the limited amount space. Actually I don't wonder, my instinct is probably right on.  So Mama Anna, Papa Raj and Senior Lady Niya, are all living in separate small aviary pods at the off exhibit Feline Conservation Center. 

Hopefully they finish the expansion and it will allow for all five Snow Leopards to take advantage of more space.  After providing Niya with companionship at FCC, I seriously hope they don't leave her alone.  Plus, so many people miss visiting her.

Director Peterson allegedly claims there is no funds for a renovation in Triple Grotto, which would create a third space in the Great Ape Passage, and allow for the Orangutans to have a proper home.  Yet, there has been no efforts to raise funds for the project.   She has wanted Orangutans for at least five years, and they have been here for eight months.  So, my irritation is valid, as is asking,  At what point will she attempt to raise funds for them?

And then there's this one!  I'm not trying to be Bah Humbug, but this is how I think when I see stuff like this.  I have trouble getting on board with certain things, when other things just aren't right.

Considering the current Orangutan situation,  Ironically this seems to be their tagline for the Holiday Season.  Nice!
Screencap from sfzoo.org

I certainly don't feel Joy when I see the faces of the Orangutans staring out from their caged tube, watching the Chimpanzees moving about freely in a large space.  Pretty sure they aren't feeling Joy either.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.