Saturday, December 14, 2019

Orangutan Watches Chimp Birthday - Extreme Sadness - My Heart Breaks

As I have been saying last many posts, I'm trying to get through all my posts in draft.  I'm almost there, but damn if things don't happen to set me back.  

Tuesday was Chimpanzee Nick's Birthday.  When I went to Chimps to see if there would be any special treats, Orangutan Ollie was in the trail, watching the Keeper set-up for Nick's party.  
Ollie watching.
Heartbreaking.

I stood there most of the time, which was about a half hour, just watching Ollie.  I took many video clips on my camera that I still haven't uploaded.  Thankfully I took a couple on my cell phone that I posted that day, because I don't think I'll be able to watch the others.  Reliving this sadness is just too much.

Ollie watching part one
Watching Ollie was heartbreaking.  It has been for months and the level of upset increases each week I see the Orangutans.  When I left the Zoo, I felt so down.  I loved watching the Chimps have so much fun with their party festivities, but when those moments were over, I saw Ollie and Amoi.  I spend most of my time with the Chimps, so there is no way to avoid the Orangutans.  Under normal circumstances I wouldn't want to, but in this cruel environment, if they weren't next to the Chimps, I might avoid them except to get some quick footage to document their situation.  

The next day, I decided not to go to the Zoo, because I just couldn't see them in that caged tube again so soon.  It's never easy, but I was still feeling emotional from the day before.  I couldn't get Ollies eyes out of my mind.  I went on errands, and broke down crying in my car.  I just can't shake the sadness. I had to try to distance myself from emotions just to finally write this.  I don't understand how this is happening to these Beings?

I wish more people who went to the Zoo understood what is going on.  I think part of the reason they don't, is because who would ever think that an Animal would not have a home?  Again I ask, ... How is this happening?  

I've had many conversations about the situation with the Orangutans, with people both inside and outside the Zoo.  I respect other's thoughts, but they also prompt questions.  Several have said in different ways, that I shouldn't let it affect me so much.  My soul, doesn't know what to do with those words.  While that might work for some, I literally can not turn off my empathy factor.  I just don't understand how anyone can see what's going on and not feel deep sadness.  

From another side of it, it has also been offered, that there might be things I don't know about the situation. This was in response to my wondering why the AZA/SSP sent them here, without there being a home for them.  Maybe the AZA/SSP didn't know there was no place for them?  Maybe Director Peterson sold them the illusion that they would rotate through the Chimps Dayroom and Yard?  Maybe they were told that a third yard in Triple Grotto was happening?   Who knows what transpired that resulted in the Orangutans being sent here.  The fact is, they are here and have been for eight months.  There is NO excuse for these Beings to have no proper home.  I don't know where there blame lays.  In my opinion, it is the AZA/SSP responsibility to confirm a proper home is in place or will be by the end of quarantine, for any Animal they transfer anywhere.  I don't think that is unreasonable, since their position is supposed to be rooted in Animal Welfare.

Some still believe in the rotation illusion.  As I've noted in other posts, with seven Chimpanzees, there is not enough space for this to work on a full-time basis.

It's also been said, Maybe something is in the works?  I've heard this as well, ... for months.  I don't buy it.  Again, it has been eight months.   Even if the Zoo started today, unless it was for a temporary yard, it would be months before something proper would be finished.  The San Francisco Zoo Director is ruining these Animals with each passing day that they languish in that caged tube.

San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson has alot to answer for in regard to the acquisition and housing of the Orangutans.  Unfortunately, she never will. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



1 comment:

  1. The photo of Ollie is heartbreaking. He definitely is very depressed. It's criminal that the Orangutans are living in that tube. They can't even stretch out for Christ sakes. The director needs to be ashamed of herself on many levels. Why does this continue week after week? They need a grotto of their own like yesterday. Director Peterson, please show some compassion here and get Ollie and Amoi out of the skytrails in into proper living quarters pronto.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.