Sunday, January 3, 2021

Recognizing The Lives Of Three Zoo Friends Lost In November

November 2020 brought the loss three Zoo Friends that I know of.   Gandalf the Alpaca, Odette the Coscoroba Swan, and Zura the Western Lowland Gorilla.  Losses are always hard to write about, but since the Zoo doesn't acknowledge them all, I have been trying to do so here.  It saddens me to not tribute each one with a photo, but for over eighteen hours I tried to go through my unsorted photo files and failed to find any of my Odette photos.  So I will only post Gandalf's, and since the Zoo did social and media notices about Zura, that included a photo, I will include a personal video.

Each one of these was a shock.  Each one had been having health issues.  I only knew about Zura's, but had no idea it was something that was life threatening.

The Farm Friends have been some of the Animals I have been closest to.  While so many besties have left, there are still some that remain.  It's been hard not to be able to hang out with them up-close for eight months, so losing Gandalf was extra sad.  I would call out to him when I saw him.  I hope he heard me and knew I was still there to see him. 

Some of my favorite times were watching him so happy, rolling about on the ground in the sun.  I would say, Gandalf are you having fun, and he'd stop, tilt his head back and smile, looking at me upside down.  He could also be very silly, trying to get all four footies into a water bucket!  Miss you sweet boy.

Photo from his Birthday Party
November 2019

RIP Gandalf
Bless Your Soul

Odette was one of the two Coscoroba Swans, who I met at the Farm.  They would try and rule the  pond, that is when Edna the Goose wasn't looking.  They were fun to watch.  Sadly when the pond got filled, they were moved to a couple other enclosures, before settling in with the Penguins.  Being in the center of the Zoo and always busy motoring about, I stopped and said, Hi to them often.  I got used to them being there.  They were a team.  Thankfully her "sister" is back at the Farm and getting lots of attention.  I will miss you Odette.

RIP Odette
Bless Your Soul

Zura was one of my first Zoo Friends.  She was the best Gorilla Lady ever!  I have loved her since I first met her.  A Beautiful and special girl, inside and out.  I always called her Princess, and called our enclosure, Zura's World.  

When I heard of her passing, I shared this video with some of my Gorilla loving friends.  This is pure Zura.  A friend who always came to see me and gave a tongue wiggle hello, and I gave her a wiggle back.  Still tears flow when I think about our interactions.  A very precious friend. I sure miss you Princess.


RIP Zura
Bless Your Soul

Thank you Gandalf, Odette and Zura for being part of my Life.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


.

2 comments:

  1. God Bless Gandalf,Odette and Princess Zura. I knew them all. Thank you for acknowledging them especially since the zoo did not. The Family Farm is one of my favorite places at the zoo. Gandalf was always there and such a cutie pie. Odette was a true beauty and I loved the peacefulness of Gorilla World and sweet Zura. I just wished the zoo would put importance on their losses because not only do these special animals make the zoo, they are loved by many that come to visit them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andie! Thank you for your added words about our precious Zoo Friends. I know you loved them too! I think about each one, and have come across Gandalf in many of my videos, ones where I'm feeding him and he comes right to my face! So much cuteness! ... Every Animal there has admirers. Remember the lady we met so many years ago whose favorite was the Praying Mantis? All the Beings make the Zoo. Without them there is no Zoo. No one working there would have jobs. Every Resident should be celebrated. Thank you again!

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.