Sunday, November 11, 2018

News Flash! Fires Set in Golden Gate Park - Concern For Our Bison Girls

The last few days have once again seen our State being ravaged by wildfires.  Hopefully no one reading this has been directly affected.  Sending blessings to all in those areas.  

We have all seen and smelled the effects of these devastating fires, even over a hundred miles away.  From my window that faces the beach, I saw the thick layer of smoke that has only started to thin today.  

Yesterday I read a post from a friend who watched the noon News and said that they warned that breathing the air would be equal to smoking eight cigarettes and that they advised people to stay in or wear masks. I started to really worry about the Zoo Animals. How does this affect them?  Would the Zoo bring them in?  What about the one's that don't have indoor areas, like the Eagle and Pelicans who stay out all the time?  And, even if Animals were given inside access and not locked in, would they know to go in?  I remember when this poor air quality happened before, reports noted that you may not even think its a problem, but it is.  

Then I read about the fires in Southern California.  One in Griffith Park, behind the LA Zoo.  They were ready to evacuate.  They crated and moved some of the Birds and small Primates.  The smoke effects toward the beach areas, had people taking their Farm Animals to the beach in Malibu.  This photo is surreal.  Surprising to see, but smart of these people, and thankful they have the beach close enough for refuge. 

Then I read about the fires being set in Golden Gate Park.  The Police think they were intentional.  Seriously?  With all the tragedy going on around us, and this happens.  What the hell. 


One of the locations was the Angler's Pool area.  This is extra scary, as that's right across the road from the Bison Paddock and now I'm worried about our Girls.  I always worry about them being out there and vulnerable, now this, a vulnerability I never thought of.  For those who don't know, the San Francisco Zoo takes care of the Bison.  They are responsible for the Animals, and the Rec and Park is responsible for the grounds.  I'm curious now if the Zoo has an emergency plan in place for the Bison?  Is there a place for them to go?  Are there trailers to evacuate six full size Bison?  Would they have to be tranquilized?  They don't ever move them so I can't imagine they would just walk in a trailer, they sure aren't halter trained.  Very curious now.  

I never really thought about them ever having to be moved.  That said, again what if they did?  If you read my previous post about what I'd like to see done at the Zoo, you would have read that there are many unused areas in the Zoo.  One of those areas is South Gate, an area that used to house Hoofstock.  If that area was not left to go to crap, there would be room for immediate and/or necessary housing.  Likewise with other unused areas.  I wish the Zoo would fix these areas so they could provide permanent, temporary and emergency housing, instead of moving forward with projects while unused areas remain closed.  Having usable housing options would have allowed the Fossa to have a proper habitat while waiting for the Zoo to decide on a plan for them, would have kept the Squirrel Monkeys out of that indoor room,  would have provided housing for all the Primates being displaced by the new Madagascar project, and possibly other in-need situations.

So, lots to wonder about.  May never get answers to these questions about what, if any emergency protocol there is for poor air quality or if the Bison ever had to be moved.  Let's just hope all the Animals, both captive and wild, stay safe.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*Expand Comments for Additional Insight and Information.  ... All Comments are moderated and will be published within 24 hours.  Comment form or about.me link can be used to contact me.

*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.