Sunday, November 11, 2018

Palm Oil Awareness Video Banned!

I post this in honor of the Los Angeles Zoo's Orangutan Lady, Eloise.  Eloise celebrated her 50th Birthday yesterday!  So glad the fire danger subsided and the Zoo was able to go ahead and have her Party!  Eloise is an amazing and beautiful lady.  Please take a few minutes to view this wonderful video about the care she gets for her special needs.  ... Happy Birthday Eloise!

This weekend also brought the Social Media release of a Palm Oil awareness video that was banned in the UK.  With all the tragedy surrounding the sourcing and use of Palm Oil, NO awareness should be squashed!  

Please do two things to help spread awareness and battle this censorship.   Read and Share both these links.  One is of the Video and the other a Petition to get it released.  Thank you.


The Petition https://www.change.org/p/release-iceland-s-banned-christmas-advert-on-tv-nopalmoilchristmas

I'm posting about this because it has been one of my big issue points for many years.  I'm very strict with reading labels, and buying nothing that contains Palm Oil.  I talk to people in stores who I see about to purchase products with Palm Oil, and try to educate them.  Doesn't always change anyone's mind, even when I describe the Orangutans being burnt alive.  Sad, that some people's need to fill their cake hole is stronger than the thought of a living Being's flesh being burnt.

A few years ago I started a Petition aimed at three local retailers, Trader Joes, Target and Safeway.  I chose these three because they all have home brands that use Palm Oil in so many items and they sell to the masses.  My Petition got almost 17,000 signatures!  


I also made a couple videos at Target.  I had planned to do one at Trader Joes and at Safeway but never got that far.  You can view them at the links below.

Target Products with Palm Oil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUtvBur2f2Y
Target Halloween Candy Aisle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMyioiZOjN0

There are many companies who now say they use "Sustainable" Palm Oil.  I have read so many sources that have conflicting information as to whether there really is such a thing as sustainable, so my own personal position remains to avoid it all together.  I also don't believe just because a company says they are part of the RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil), doesn't mean they are using fully traceable Palm Oil at this time.  This is just my personal opinion, based on all that I've read.  There are too many conflicting reports and there is no widespread use and awareness for a sustainable icon, and that's even if there really is such a thing.

That all said, many Zoo's, including our SFZoo, posted a guideline like this (or this exact one) at their Halloween event treat stations.  

Personally I have a problem with going by something like this, without doing my own research.  A simple search as I was writing this, showed conflicting information about whether Hershey's is actually adhering to their promise to use 100% traceable Palm Oil.  I'm black and white with my position on things, so for me, I need to know for sure, and this doesn't make me comfortable.  Do what you can live with.  I can't live with using anything with Palm Oil in it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*Expand Comments for Additional Insight and Information.  ... All Comments are moderated and will be published within 24 hours.  Comment form or about.me link can be used to contact me. 

*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org 


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.