Sunday, November 11, 2018

News Flash! The Gorilla Foundation Launches Effort to Save Ndume!

I'm a bit behind on this being breaking news, but since in the actual News, I used the News Flash! lead-in.  

So yeah, The Gorilla Foundation has responded to the Lawsuit against them by the Cincinnati Zoo, who wants to recall Ndume back to his place of birth.  Cincinnati Zoo has retained ownership of Ndume his while life. 

The Press Release, only posted to The Gorilla Foundation website (curiously not any of their Social Media platforms), can be read here: http://www.koko.org/gorilla-foundation-launches-humanitarian-effort-save-life-gorilla-ndume

 Screencaps from koko.org

I included a link to the court documents in the last post.  A longer version, including exhibits, has been brought to my attention. You can view that here, link within this news article: https://local12.com/news/get-it-now-links/53-page-legal-document-concerning-custody-battle-over-gorilla?fbclid=IwAR2Sf6P5u-po39S4LI85R6ym5jssug6FViYgPsqN5h5eO5Ws2TTJ8bFPA70 

When I read this, I just thought about poor Ndume having to sit there while these two shitty teams of so called animal professionals duke it out.  From the moment the lawsuit was announced, I have been disgusted by both parties.  I am not alone in my feelings that The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden and The Gorilla SSP (Species Survival Plan, by proxy of the AZA, Association of Zoos and Aquariums) are not without huge blame in this mess. From my first blog post about Ndume, I have continually maintained the disservice they have done to him. I'm sorry, I know they are helping now, but when I hear Cincinnati Zoo's Ron Evan's pompous statements about isolation, I want to vomit. He and Gorilla SSP head Kristen Lukas should have accepted some of the blame for this.  They had to know the situation there, at least the isolation part.  I do not believe that they thought Ndume and Koko were co-habitating or had visual contact for a majority of time each day. Twenty-seven years is along time to be abandoned, just sitting there with no Family. I think about everything that's happened in the last 27 years of my life, its not just a number its a frigging long time!  

I'm torn by what I've been told by former Gorilla Foundation Caregivers about what has gone on there for decades, my feelings about the The Cincinnati Zoo and SSP's part in this, that I'm not sure who holds the most blame.  Blame is in hindsight, and we must look to the future and hope for the best for Ndume, but its hard not to feel sad, and disappointed at all those who failed him to this point.  Its just sad all the way around for Ndume.  

Penny connived and appealed to the SFZoo officials greed to sell Koko to her,  kidnapping infant Koko from her Mother and Gorilla Family and subsequently procuring additional Gorillas from the wild.  I will always look at her as evil for the cruelty done to Koko, Michael and BB.   There was never any hope for Koko or Michael, Penny owned them, but the real FAIL in my opinion is on the part of the AZA/SSP for sending Ndume to a non-AZA facility, AND leaving him there in isolation, which they were well aware of, for near three decades. Penny's actions have been self-serving,  but the AZA/SSP out of sight, out of mind, position with Ndume, have been negligent and cruel.  They have employed "educated" professionals throughout the years so in my opinion, their actions are the ones most responsible for this mess. They left him there, people got attached, he got rooted, of course his removal wasn't going to be smooth.  Their minimal defense is that they left Ndume there so Koko wouldn't be alone.  What about Ndume?  Why weren't his needs met?  I completely understand the compassion behind maintaining Koko's needs, and its admirable, but they should have then at least sent another Gorilla there to live in the same enclosure as Ndume.  He needed a Gorilla Family.  If the SSP truly felt there was no issue of mis-care there, then why was this not something that happened?  Then upon Koko's death both Ndume and the additional Gorillas could have been transferred back to Cincinnati or wherever together.  Bottom line, there was a disservice to Ndume and his needs, by the Gorilla SSP.

Now, in regard to Penny's counter to Cincinnati Zoo, I have to admit, if I were someone who didn't have the ear of former Gorilla Foundation Staff, I would be on her side.  I can hear the gasps now!  Let me explain, when I heard the San Francisco Zoo Director was going to kick out our Senior Chimps and ship them cross country I was outraged.  That outrage was fueled by several issue points, the main one being our Chimps, had lived at the SFZoo for near Fifty years, essentially all their lives.  It was the only home they had ever really known.  They were Seniors, and there was no way they should be uprooted and sent someplace unfamiliar, with unfamiliar people.  This was also the survival factor. This part of Penny's defense I completely get.  There are other issues in defense of why Ndume needs to be moved, but the main issue that is a constant factor is, that he is living in isolation from other Gorillas and you just can not keep a Great Ape from having the social interaction a Gorilla, or at very least that another Primate can provide. 

Now, IF and this is hindsight and fantasy, and unfortunately Penny and the Gorilla Foundation don't realize the truth and reality.  IF The Gorilla Foundation, employed Animal Care professionals, including Veterinarians (as most accounts note that  allegedly none of the Gorillas have had regular medical care for years), upgraded its facility, specifically the enclosures (night quarters and yards), basically be an actual Sanctuary, which would have allowed for a relationship that provided them the placement of additional Gorillas, then sure, there would be no reason for Ndume to have to leave. Sadly none of this is reality.  

The only way for Ndume to stay there would be for The Gorilla Foundation to relinquish rights to the AZA and for the AZA to create an actual Sanctuary there.  A place for surplus Gorillas, additional Bachelor Groups, etc.  Again fantasy.  ... I wish my idea of giving Ndume a home at the San Francisco Zoo had been taken seriously.  It would have benefited him.  Close travel, a Keeper who has previously worked with him,  the familiar faces of former Gorilla Foundation Staff and Caregivers who could visit him ... 

Who knows how this will play out. I only pray Ndume stays safe and the judge rules in his best interest.  The world is watching Cincinnati Zoo and The Gorilla Foundation, both parties are under the microscope to do what's best for Ndume, hopefully a resolution will be found soon.  


Use Search for keyword "Ndume" for all related posts. 

For more details and opinions, by many who are former Gorilla Foundation caregivers, you can visit the Facebook Page (owned by a former caregiver)  https://www.facebook.com/TeamNdume/

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*Expand Comments for Additional Insight and Information.  ... All Comments are moderated and will be published within 24 hours.  Comment form or about.me link can be used to contact me. 

*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org 

1 comment:

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.