Saturday, February 9, 2019

Bili the Bullied Bonobo at Wuppertal Zoo

I've been networking this situation since early yesterday morning.  While there is no SFZoo connection, I am writing a post here for further awareness.  

I'm not sure how far Bili's story has reached.  This may be news to most.  I follow Wales Ape and Monkey Sanctuary (WAMS), that is where I learned of Bili's plight.  I had read in recent comments, the mention of Bili needing to be rescued, but didn't make the connection until WAMS posted this video a few nights ago.  


I couldn't watch more than a couple minutes.  I found it disturbing that Zoo Staff did not intervene and separate the group, in order to get Bili to safety.  I don't claim to know the full story, but I have read alot about the situation and think I know all the details that have been made public.  First, in regards to this video, it appears that this is an introduction FAIL.  I understand introductions aren't always smooth, but when you see an Animal in danger you must remove it and restart your process.  Anything less is a moral crime. 

I hate to place blame as I am not a part of this Zoo's community, so I have no idea what goes on there.  But, things appear to be seriously twisted with this horrifying scenario, both by what is seen in this video and by statements from Wuppertal Zoo Officials.   So again I say, it's disturbing that Bili was not separated from the group during this attack, and previous that have left him with bleeding wounds and half his ear bit off.   Zoo Officials have not countered the masses interpretation of this attack on Bili, but instead, stand by their decision to let him stay in this group, being severely attacked and left to fend for himself, even if it's life threatening.  The Wuppertal Zoo's Dr. Arne Lawrenz has been quoted saying, that if the situation doesn't improve he could be euthanized!  This is an outrageous and inexcusable plan of action.  If I had not heard these statements, I might have not been so judgmental, since I'm not there to see for myself, but yea, can't help but be, when those in charge have no problem with allowing this poor Being to be brutalized. 


Since our own SFZoo is currently in the process of introducing a new male Chimpanzee to our three long-time resident Chimps, all who have not seen a Chimp outside their small group for fifty years, I have an idea of what a decent introduction plan is.  The plan being used here is, a three step barrier introduction process.  Access first from a Distance, then through Glass, then with Mesh between them.  The Chimps behavior will dictate the time between steps.  When Staff is comfortable, there will be a one-on-one intro between the males first.  When the Staff is comfortable that has been successful, the new male will be introduced to our two females.  Introducing Apes can be a long process.  Apes, are unpredictable, and can be violent.  Keeping all this in mind, I have to wonder, what was the protocol for introducing Bili to this group?  Was there even one?  It looks like they just tossed him in there. By all accounts there are not multiple rooms at this facility to even conduct isolated introductions. 

Let's also talk about Bili's history.  Born at Twycross Zoo in the UK, he was rejected by his Mum, and hand-raised.  Then sent to Frankfurt, where he was taken in by a Mother figure Bonobo and lived for ten years.  With no breeding options there, he was moved to Wuppertal.  So, sorry again to be judgmental, but here we have another instance of a move for breeding that has gone very wrong.   And again, an Animal might lose it's life.  

Yesterday I corresponded with two high level Animal Professionals in regard to Bili's situation.  Both said they had little details about this situation, although one said there were professionals advising.  One who has experience with Bonobo's specifically said that, it's possible that because Bili was hand-raised he may never be able to be integrated into a group.  Bonobo's are a Matriarchy. Without the protection of a Mother (like he had in Frankfurt) he might be killed, if left in a group, as opposed to with a couple others he might get along with.

So, as it stands, in the wake of public outrage since the video was posted, it has been reported that the Zoo has closed public access to the Bonobo exhibit.  ... There are two Petitions to have Bili removed from Wuppertal. ...  There will be an on site Demonstration tomorrow.  

Two weeks ago Wales Ape and Monkey Sanctuary offered to give Bili a forever home.  They got no reply, until very recently, when they have posted this morning that they were headed to Wuppertal for a meeting!  Hopefully they will head back to Wales with Bili.

I have started a Facebook Group for awareness outreach as well.  Save Bili the Bullied Bonobo at Wuppertal Zoo
https://www.facebook.com/groups/146493392951733/
It contains pertinent links, articles, photos, Petitions.  Have a look if you are interested in more details or want to join the discussions. More in-depth discussion on the Wales Ape and Monkey Sanctuary Page. 

Please Help Bili by sharing his story.  Thank you.

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.