Friday, February 8, 2019

New > Chimps Meet Their New Friend Qadeer!

After the sadness of losing two dear Zoo Friends, I skipped a week of going to the Zoo.  I almost skipped last week, but felt the need to go.  I'm glad that I did, it gave me a bit of peace, as well allowed me to be a part of our Chimps continuing new adventures.

The Chimps had already eaten breakfast in the Triple Grotto, so when the Dayroom opened, I expected Qadeer would be in there.   Then the skytrail door was open.  Very curious.  What happened next I did not expect!  

The Chimps came from Triple Grotto, through the skytrail door, Maggie first, then Minnie and finally Cobby.  Maggie came straight down, making a beeline for the front.  She will usually check the window first, which she did, but never stopped like she usually does, without missing a beat, continued toward the Keeper door.  I was talking to someone, and side watching, assuming that she would stop at Keeper door, but then she was gone?!   In the split second that I realized that, she had gone through the door to the new bedrooms and I heard screaming!  In that same moment, Minnie heard her scream, and with a huge smile, she started to scream and ran from the middle platform towards the door after her, Cobby then made a hurried dash from the top, as if he didn't want to miss what was going on!   It happened so fast, and I was so surprised, that I didn't get video of them going in, except for the tail end.

They were all three back there screaming, you could hear them from the other side of the wall.  Such a joyful sound, they were so happy!  After about 7-10 minutes, the Girls ran out, still screaming with the hugest smiles!   They were all over the place with their excitement!  Two Staffers were at the outside viewing window and walking away as they both ran over and sat there, looking like they were telling people they saw their new friend.  So heartwarming.  Cobby came out and came right up to me and pursed his lips, either giving kisses or soft hoots. He surprised me.  I was worried he would be so upset when meeting a new Chimp, especially a male, but wow, he was as calm as can be.  His hair wasn't on end, he wasn't stomping and rocking, just calm.  I'm crying as I write this, because these babies are amazing.  I feel this is going to work out wonderfully and I will witness a new Family group forming.  

I was able to get a few video clips of the excitement.  This pic is a screencap from one.

Can't Contain Chimp Excitement!
Minnie and Maggie after 
seeing Qadeer for the First time!

See the whole Video:

The Chimps of course went back in, and there was more hootin' and hollerin' over the next couple hours.  The following day, the same thing.  Minnie and Cobby had more interest in food after the initial visit.  Then it was just Cobby in the Dayroom, relaxed and having his greens.  Very good sign that he was still so calm and that he had no problem with the Girls staying in and visiting with Qadeer without him.
I've seen Qadeer several times.  
Here is a video of clips from those visits.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.