Saturday, February 2, 2019

In The Wake of Losses

After my last post, I immediately thought I would have another post.  One very different from this one.  

After sobbing all night the day I found out, the next day when I should have been grieving for the loss of my two precious friends, Paddy and Falcor,  the anger about Falcors life there was overwhelming. I felt almost lost.  I definitely couldn't see clearly how to finish my blog posts in draft.   Sad and frustrated with so many wrongs at the Zoo,  I felt a drear, and it made me almost feel  like I was not sure how to proceed with my Zoo life.  I took a week off from going.  I thought it might be longer but after one week, I felt the need to go and take a moment to talk and sob with Falcor and Paddy's Spirits.  Some may not be believers, but I am and I talk to all the Animals I've known that have passed.  

The sting about how he lived for years is still there and what makes his passing so gut-wrenching.  There may come a day, when I have more to say, but for now I can't say more than I've already written about in the past, which has been alot.  You can search this blog using keyword "Falcor".

For now, I'm just going to focus on hopes that he experienced some good times in his new home and be Thankful Falcor didn't die in that awful Terrarium he was forced to live in for too many years. 

~*~*~*~*~*~

In my last post I noted at the end, the catalyst for that post (since I had not posted passings in a long time), was how I felt the Zoo disrespected Paddy by not mentioning his passing, only Falcor's.

I talked to many people on staff this past week, about losses.  It was sad that so many still hadn't heard about Paddy.  Several said, "I know how you feel".  One who I've known for years, told me the story about about her love for PeeWee the Kestrel.  Another, about how she cried for a week when we lost Alton the Domestic Turkey last year.  Every Animal there is loved by so many.  

It's sad that People only hear about the losses of some choice Animals in the Main Zoo.  None of the Animals in the Children's Zoo ever get mentioned.   The Zoo should value that each of the Animals have People who love and care about them.  Many years ago I met a Member who's favorite Animal was the Praying Mantis.  

People are invested in the Animals.  There is a great need for more complete public knowledge about the Animals.  Noting names, histories, birthdays, etc.  Celebrating Birthdays for the public.  Equal mentioning in Memorandum.  The Acquisitions and Dispositions (passings included) is public in the Joint Zoo Documents on the Rec and Park site, but for the purpose of equal respect from the place these Beings called home, it is important that the Zoo post about it on Social Media so those who love them can know.

I still believe in two ideas put forth years ago.  First, in 2010, during a time when we still were making enrichment toys and thought we were in good standing, my friend Lee met with Director Peterson and pitched the idea for a Memorial Garden.  Offering to fund five trees in honor of the five losses in five weeks we recently had.  My added idea of memory stones and other items to honor our passed friends, further formed the idea.  People would love a place to sit and remember.  Second, mine for the future use of the Mother's Building as a History and News Center.  In 2009, the Zoo turned 80.  They put up some nice history signs.  When they came down, I thought what a waste of allowing people to learn about the history of the Zoo.  I soon learned of a project to restore the Mother's Building and thought it would be a great venue, with its own history, to house a History Center, so people can be endeared to the Zoo's history and all the Animals that have lived there.  As well, I think there is a need for a News Center, that would educate people on all the current plights Animals face.  There is limited and filtered outreach at the Zoo about these dire issues facing Animals in the Wild.

FYI in regard to the Mother's Building.  Restoration efforts by Historian Richard Rothman have been underway for years.   You can learn more at a current Exhibit running two more weeks, til Friday, 3/15/19 at the SF Public Library.  For more info  https://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=1035622701

For continued updates, you can follow the Facebook Group Friends of the Mother's Building at the San Francisco Zoo.

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.