Sunday, February 3, 2019

I Got Lucky and Met Qadeer! - First Sighting!

Qadeer (pronouced Kah-dear) has finally been given access to the playroom, which I guess I should start calling the Dayroom as that's what the Zoo calls it.  When I got there on a Monday morning a couple weeks ago, a couple staffers told me he had access over the weekend.  I was surprised and jealous that I had not been able to see his first time out, but anxious and excited that I might get lucky that day!  
  
Well, lucky I got!  After swinging by the second time, I headed towards the Farm, stopping at Flamingos to chat with a couple people.  Out of the corner of my eye, I could see our three one by one, heading back over to Triple Grotto and then I saw the skytrail door closing.  I knew what that meant and I went back to the Dayroom, entering just as Qadeer did!  


Very happy to finally get to see him!  He seems a bit shy, not sure if being up-close to people is something he's used to.  He never came to the window, but did sit a couple times for a few minutes to eat something.  Mostly, I watched him gather food, and stop to look out the windows for new friends, before quickly taking his haul back to his bedroom!  He did this over a handful of times, each time exactly the same thing.  I have many photos of him standing bipedal, stretching his neck out trying to see them.  It was very cute, how interested and curious he was.  I know he and Maggie caught quick glimpses of eachother through the window, while she was in the skytrail, but kept missing eachother for a direct sighting.  At one point Maggie went to the skytrail door, which is frosted, and he could see her silhouette.  Then one time much later, Cobby went to the door and his fur was on end making his silhouette almost take up all the door, as opposed to Maggie's which was about a third. Qadeer looked up and got a bit of a surprised look on his face, like whoa what is that? lol!   

I hung out there about an hour, hoping to catch he and Maggie seeing each other for what would have been the first time, but no luck.  They always just missed each other.  I would have waited but didn't have the time that day.  I do wonder what Maggie was thinking.  Her glimpses of him were probably not as clear as his, since the view from inside out doesn't have the window reflection that there is from outside in.  I would guess that in her wildest imagination, that after fifty years, another Chimpanzee is not what she would think was in there! Our Precious Chimpers are in for another amazing adventure that will enrich their lives, and Sweet Qadeer's!

I ran out of battery power and only had my cell phone, but thankfully was able to catch all this cuteness using it.  Sometimes technology makes me cranky, but in this case, being able to document a first, I was very grateful to have it. 

Enjoy these first videos of Qadeer!  

San Francisco Zoo New Chimpanzee Qadeer - First Sighting!

San Francisco Zoo New Chimpanzee Qadeer - Looking For Friends Pt One!

San Francisco Zoo New Chimpanzee Qadeer - Looking For Friends Pt Two!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

1 comment:

  1. Qadeer is absolutely adorable and I love the look and smiles from Minnie and Maggie. What fun they will all have!!!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.