Saturday, February 9, 2019

News Flash! Zoo London Tiger Tragedy - RIP Melati

Sumatran Tiger Melati was killed by an intended new mate today (now yesterday), during their first no barrier meeting.


I'm heartbroken and pissed, at this News. A friend messaged me at the moment I picked up the tablet.  I had just woke up from a nap, after spending all day working on writing letters and spreading awareness for the plight of Bonobo Bili.  I had planned a blog post about him tomorrow. 

I loved precious Melati from afar.  This beautiful girl was sent to London Zoo to be the mate of our Jae Jae.  Jae Jae was one of Triplets born at SFZoo in 2008 to our Skylar/Leanne and Bali/George.   I'm sure there has been others, but for me, this match was the first I ever heard, of two Tigers getting along so well they were able to co-habitate and raise Cubs together.   They lived through the tragic drowning of their first babie, I can still feel the sadness of when I heard about that.  They went on to have two more litters together, raising five Cubs. 

The last time I checked in on them was last month when the Zoo was doing their annual animal count.  There were adorable photos of them that were posted in this series.

Zoo London

It wasn't til today's news did I even know that Jae Jae had been transferred out, to a Zoo in France.  Breaking-up this couple is heartbreaking enough, but having her killed by her next intended mate is devastating.  I'm so disgusted and sad. 

I'm going to be very judgmental about this.  I admit that I only have the same information about the situation that has been posted publicly by the Zoo and the news.  That said, I do have some knowledge about the AZA breeding program, which I am going to assume works in a similar way to that of its European affiliate EAZA.  If I get something wrong, I'm of course open to clarification.  For the purpose of my rant, I'm going with what I know and emotion.  

Let me note that today especially I am down on the EAZA as they are responsible for sending Bonobo Bili to Wuppertal Zoo for breeding.  He is being attacked and in jeopardy of losing his life, yet the Zoo, most likely supported if not directed by the EAZA, think this is just fine.  All in the name of breeding. 

Note that I have a post in draft about our new Tiger, written last weekend, that I was going to post this weekend.  It contains a bit of the same opinion in regards to the AZA breeding program (SSP).  Apologies for the repeating, but I do like my posts to be able to be read as stand-alone pieces, so sometimes its necessary.

In the ten years I have been active with the SFZoo happenings, and with other Zoo world information, I have come to really question the AZA/SSP.  I have talked with Animal care professionals about my take on things and I am not alone in how I feel. 

My first experience with feeling upset by how breeding is handled, was with our Duikers.  I've written extensively about how I have felt they have been disrespected.  Disrespected because they are a couple who are bonded but have been jerked around for years because of breeding.  They get put together to mate, then she gets pregnant and they are ripped apart.  I hate it. I'm not blaming the Zoo as much anymore, as I don't know if this is their species management protocol or if its dictated by the SSP, which I've come to learn in more recent years, does have housing guidelines for certain species.  

The situation as I know it, in regard to the breeding of our Snow Leopards and Sumatran Tigers is the following.  It is this info that plays into my options about the AZA/SSP and for the purpose of today's tragedy, the EAZA.  

When our Skylar/Leanne and Taymor/Larry were introduced, it was clear they enjoyed eachother's company.  She got pregnant and they were separated.  Their daughter Jillian, stayed with Mama an extended time, eventually moving to Sacramento Zoo at four years old.  She is now back.  When she left, Sky and Taymor were put back together.  They received another breeding recommendation from the SSP.  This was upsetting to me, because this is how I view it.  After fives years of being separated, they are now back together, and have been happily co-habitating. They are definitely a bonded couple.  If she gets pregnant, then they rip them apart again.  That's just not right.  In fact its cruel.  I have often thought the Sumatran Tigers were over bred in captivity.  I actually think it goes beyond that, but for species I've paid attention to, its them.  Anyway, allegedly within the AZA/SSP guidelines the only way they can be housed together is if they are in a breeding recommendation.  So, the hell with them liking eachother, if they aren't having babies, too bad for them.  No compassion.  NO empathy.  We the public are told conservation blah blah about breeding, blah blah they don't co-habitate in the wild.  Well they aren't in the wild and if they like eachother, leave them the hell alone! 

In my following post about our new Tiger, I write a bit about Senior Animals. A short bit about our female Snow Leopard Niya. Niya was brought to breed with Rigel.  When Rigel's age became a factor, he was retired off exhibit, passing away a few years ago.  New male Ghurka arrived.  Sadly he passed away.  Soon the Zoo was set to acquire a new breeding pair, per the SSP recommendation.  What does that mean for Niya I asked.  I was told that the SSP wanted to transfer her out, as they wanted SFZoo to remain a breeding facility.  Thankfully the Zoo asked if they could keep Niya here off exhibit and were allowed to do so.  She is now retired and at the old Feline Conservation Center on Zoo grounds.  BUT that doesn't mean that the AZA/SSP is off the hook for the lack of empathy. They were fine to rip Niya, now a Senior from her home, to forward their breeding agenda.  And, allegedly if the SFZoo did not go along with the new breeding plan, their accreditation would have been threatened. 

Related post that has more details about breeding program issues. 

So let's talk about breeding Senior Tigers.  I mentioned our Sky and Taymor above.  Skylar/Leanne will be 16 in July.  She has given the system four Cubs. ... In 2014 the Sacramento Zoo's male Tiger Castro passed away.   He had fathered five Cubs with his lady love Bahagia.  Less than two years later a new male was brought in for her to breed with.  She was killed by him.  At 15, Bahagia, a senior, apparently hadn't given enough to the system, she lost her longtime mate, and she lost her life.   Castro and Bahagia were the Parents of our Taymor, our Jillian's Grandparents. 

So, here we are.  Melati and Jae Jae love eachother and they have given five Cubs to the system, yet the EAZA just couldn't leave well enough alone, must breed more and spread their genetics, so rip them apart and insert them with new mates.  I know this happens, but again, when there is a bonded pair, leave them alone.  There are enough Tigers floating about in captivity that a few bonded pairs staying together isn't going to damage the future of the captive population.  Geez, they give their lives to living in captivity, at least let them be happy. 

If Zoos didn't greed breed, Melati would still be alive and her Jae Jae would be by her side.

Through tears I write,  RIP Melati.  Bless Your Soul.  Thank you for loving Jae Jae, he loved you too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.